Linear PCM Stereo

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Erik_Hetz, Oct 11, 2001.

1. Erik_Hetz

Erik_Hetz Auditioning

I recently purchased the Phil Collins Live & Loose in Paris concert dvd from 1997. The soundtracks on the disc are Linear PCM Stereo and Dolby 5.0. The first half of the disc plays fine but during the second half, the picture and sound start to skip and it gets progressively worse regardless of whether I use LPCM or DD. This leads me to believe that my player needs cleaning but I have tested other discs all the way through with no problems. My player is a generic GE Digital with Dolby Digital. I have yet to have any problems with any of the new discs that have all the complex branching on the menus though. I'm thinking the reason I'm having this problem is because of the Linear PCM Stereo. Any input would be appreciated.

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Sounds more like a defective disc. Try cleaning it. If that doesn't work, I'd recommend exchanging it for a new copy.
    M.

3. Erik_Hetz

Erik_Hetz Auditioning

I promptly exchanged the disc with Amazon, I got excellent service from them by the way, and the new disc has the same problem. The disc is totally clean. I will hopefully get to test it out on another player that is newer this weekend. It seems to me that my player is receiving to much output from the disc, which is causing the skipping.

4. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

May be an incompatability with your player. PCM should work fine on DVD on any player.
    ------------------
    Philip Hamm
    AIM: PhilBiker