What's new

Line6 POD, loud guitars, and HT (1 Viewer)

Shane Morales

Second Unit
Not sure where to put this...

I have a Line6 POD (http://www.line6.com/podxt/) through which I play obscenely loud guitar. Normally I hook it up to the 'pre-amp in' on my old Fender M80 guitar amplifier.

A POD is a digital guitar amplifier emulator. In effect, it's little box that takes the place of a guitar amp and cabinet - all it needs is speakers.

So what I'm wondering is if it's ok to plug this thing into my receiver and jam through my Mirage speakers. Does anyone know if that's ok?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
This is not exactly a beginner's question about home theater. Nor is it really all that home theater-related. Let's see if anybody might respond here.

What you propose is nothing I would recommend.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
I would think you are OK. Since the POD is made to go straight to a mixing board, and then to tape, and then get played back on a stereo system, I would not think that there would be anything coming out of the POD that would hurt your speakers.

I would perhaps NOT run it ridiculously loud though. No reason why. I just would be cautious.

And if its has a separate output that is made to go into a guitar amp, you may want to avoid that.

FWIW, back in the day I did exactly the same thing with a 1st generation Rockman. No one was killed, and my hi-fi gear lived.

BGL

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
This comes up all the time. The answer is, it SHOULD be fine, but does risk completely destroying everything. Your receiver expectys a fixed max voltage input, which the pod has a potential to exceed- causing distorted signal, resulting in damage. Again- without specific metering and knowledge of system tolerances- you run the risk of frying speakers or the input stage on your receiver.

In addition- direct line guitar distortion has the potential to damage high grade accurate speaker systems. Character of the signal is not exactly on par with keeping clean signal to your drivers-- probably wont have ill effect- but could.

So, again- it should be fine but potential exists for damage- your choice on what it's worth to risk it. On a side note, I'd love someone to explain the appeal of the POD- recently every hack I've run into has one, and I think they sound like digital garbage (like the many amp modelers that have come before)-- unsure what makes this such a popular product.

-V

Shane Morales

Second Unit
Gads, ok, nevermind, I'll just keep playing out of my amp. If the shock and dismay of damaging my new speakers didn't kill me my wife certainly would. She didn't like the POD through the receiver idea either and made it pretty clear she'd crack my head with my guitar if I busted anything.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
So, again- it should be fine but potential exists for damage- your choice on what it's worth to risk it. On a side note, I'd love someone to explain the appeal of the POD- recently every hack I've run into has one, and I think they sound like digital garbage (like the many amp modelers that have come before)-- unsure what makes this such a popular product.
Geesh Vince, not everyone can have a room full of vintage guitars, amps and stomp boxes.

I don't have a POD, but have had a modeler in my rig, and while it sure as hell ain't going to replace a Marshall or a Fender, it serves its purpose.

Seems to me like its a great tool for practice and writing demo stuff on. Sure as heck a lot easier to lug up the stairs than a half stack.

BGL

Neil White

Supporting Actor
I agree with Brian. I don't have the pod but I do have a DigiTech and a Yamaha processor. They ain't perfect but when I'm playing small venues and I have to use a small combo amp, it gets the job done. In other situations, I pull out the stack and stomp boxes and go to town...

N

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks