Line out = pre outs?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by ernie.bin, Jan 15, 2004.

1. ernie.bin

ernie.bin Stunt Coordinator

A friend of mine is looking for an entry level receiver, and is looking at the onkyo sr501.

He plans to use a headphone amp as well, so I figured using pre-outs would be the best way to get a clean signal into that amp, but the sr501 doesn't have L,R preouts.

Would the VCR or TAPE stereo outputs work the same way as standard pre-outs? Is it all just line level output?

he would need those outputs to be working regardless of the input signal as well.

thanks for any help.

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    VCR or tape outs will work - the signal from any selected source feeds through them. However, it will be a fixed-level signal, so the headphone amp will have to have its own volume control.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. Justin_D

Justin_D Stunt Coordinator

What is the source? If it is a DVD player, and he is using some form of digital for Movies, then he could just plug in an RCA-to-Mini cable direct to the amp. If its a CD player he may want to just split it. If its a PC, see solution one [​IMG]

4. Chuck Schilling

Chuck Schilling Stunt Coordinator

Yeah, I'm confused as to why he would need a receiver in the first place. If I were using a headphone amp, I'd plug all inputs in directly - unless of course he's trying to hook up a phono to it and the headphone doesn't have a phono preamp. Is that the case?

5. ernie.bin

ernie.bin Stunt Coordinator

His source will be his standard cable tv, his computer (via coax), and his dvd player.

He also has a pair of titans to drive as well, but he'll also use a headphone amp depending on time of day.

so he wants everything routed through a single source, hence the receiver. and also the receiver for decoding DD/DTS.