Line of Sight Requirements?? Living on a Hill

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark Zimmer, Jun 22, 2001.

1. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

Jun 30, 1997
    I've been putting off getting a STB for my 65H80 because of my geography. While Madison has HDTV over the air, I live on the side of a steep hill....with the broadcast towers all on the other side of the hill, about 10-12 miles away, so line of sight from my rooftop runs me right into dirt.
    How sensitive in this situation is the line of sight requirement? Am I screwed without a 50-foot antenna? Is there any way to work this? A new house is too much to ask for to get HDTV, I'm afraid.
    For 11+ hours of Beethoven music available nowhere else, visit (New THIRD Millennium update done 10/22/00 )
  2. Les Holt

Les Holt Agent

Oct 3, 1998
    Every situation is unique, so it's going to be trial and error to determine what will work, if anything.
    Start simple and cheap: the 2 bay bowtie from Radio Shack (since it's returnable).
    Try it inside, turning it around 360 degrees and trying various stations.
    You can next try it in the attic or better yet on the roof.
    If you get nothing, you probably need to step up to a good outdoor antenna at least 5 feet above the roof, with a rotor. A good choice for your situation is Channel Master 4228 8 bay bowtie, or the Channel Master 4248 yagi.
    Chances are you will be able to get some stations, because you're close to the transmitters. You may find that the best reception occurs when the antenna is pointed away from the broadcast towers (in which case you're picking up a reflection off some other object).
    Trial and error is the only way to determine what you can do.
  3. JohnDG

JohnDG Stunt Coordinator

Jul 15, 2000
    They have had extensive discussions on this (lots of hills in L.A.) over in the HDTV hardware section.
    Do a search on "antennas."
  4. Al Kenyon

Al Kenyon Auditioning

Feb 11, 2000
    I live 16 miles from most of the Cincinnati TV towers in a river valley with an occluding ridge about a mile from my home. My line of sight path is about 120 feet below the ridge line not counting trees and houses. I get workable signals in the low 80s (DTC-100) using a roof top mounted rotor & RS antenna. The advantage I have which may cause trouble for others is that there are no significant RF reflectors beyond my house or along the signal path. The rotor is for reception of Dayton TV, none of which have their DTV transmitters up yet.