Line of Fire 12/30/03

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Patrick Sun, Dec 31, 2003.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Finally caught up with the past 3 episodes, and they are all very watchable and intriguing.

The episode's dealt with Malloy using a contact to extract info from the Witness Protection program to offer contract killing services to other crime bosses.

It was a good showcase of things going wrong, and Roy continuing his UC work with a workable cover story after the "leak" learns of Roy's UC status and threatens to blow his cover.

So far, just some comments on the characters so far:

Malloy is good at compartamentalizing his schemes and his hobbies, so he can be cold-blooded in one scene, and then a likable sports fan in another. What he is is a sociopath.

Jennifer is the reason I watch the show, she got that spunkiness that wins me over, and the show takes great pains to paint her as a flawed character with a lot of good intentions, but nonetheless she doesn't always respond in the manner that would de-escalate the situation at home.

Paige is slowly growing on me, but she's still a bit too much of a one-facet character for now.

Lisa is your classic self-destructive, and yet highly capable field leader. She's good at her job, but her other sides are much darker and painful.

Roy's got the most interesting arc so far, but his ascent into Malloy's organization might get going too fast (necessarily so for episode TV).

At least there are many shades of gray all throughout this show which makes it more interesting to watch than shows that rely on good vs. evil to provide a satisfactory conclusion to each week's episode.

Looking forward to more to come.

2. Jim DiJoseph

Jim DiJoseph Second Unit

Agreed, Patrick. The show has many facets to it - many of which are dark and suprisingly intriguing. I was taken aback when this week's show revealed more of Lisa's character. The whole bar scene leading to the bedroom struck me as a dream sequence or one of those bait-and-switch routines where we find out later that she knew the guy. I was impressed when it turned out the way it did. Egad, that woman has problems.

Good show, though. I've become a loyal viewer, and though I look forward to NYPD's return, I do hope Line of Fire finds a decent home! [​IMG]

3. Sean Cauley

Sean Cauley Stunt Coordinator

I've gotten into this. I think there's a difficulty in having too many characters (especially on the FBI side, where Amiel and Todd have gotten little development compared to Paige, Lisa and Jennifer), but what we've seen so far is solid. So far, Roy's undercover peril is the most interesting ongoing thread, but the gradual reveal of Lisa's personal problems and the focus on Jennifer's marriage/parenting issues have potential.

Paige is a little one-note, mainly because we're just getting the "rookie" stuff, and not much more development on her motivation (losing her husband in the 9/11 attack on the Pentagon). It would be interesting to see how that develops, because it's been a little simplistic so far. Also: we get all the developmental mistakes with Paige, but Todd (who's also a rookie) comes off totally professional when we do get to see him. I'd think he'd have a learning curve, too, and not be SuperAgent yet.

I like David Paymer, and think Malloy can be frightening, though the casting sometimes backfires. His attempted intimidation of the baseball owner in the 12/23 episode fell flat, but his blackmail threat to the country-club woman the week before was intense.

4. John Lloyd

John Lloyd Stunt Coordinator

I like the show too.

However I do have a few issues with it:

How often are they going to have secret meetings in the woods? It seems unrealistic to have one every episode. The FBI needs to be a little smarter about undercover operation. Don't use an agent who is already known in a particular region, you never know who they will encounter while undercover. How did Roy know about the backup meeting place? He seemed surprised about it when he was told to tell Jonah, but Jonah accepted the rest of his story.

5. Paul_Medenwaldt

Paul_Medenwaldt Supporting Actor

I'm waiting for the show when Roy has to prove his loyalty to Malloy by killing someone in front of him. That will make for a gripping scene.

I'm enjoying Lisa and her self-destructiveness. I made a point a few months ago in another thread in regards to cop shows and how they always start the series off with the main character just coming off boozing and smoking and other vices. I always was curious to how the cop got to that point, but we were never given the opportunity to see the transition. With the Lisa character we get to see a main character abuse her own life and follow the path.

Great television!

Paul

6. Sean Cauley

Sean Cauley Stunt Coordinator

John, regarding one item in your spoilered post (since the episode's already aired, I'm not going to worry about spoilers in my response):

Roy was a non-undercover field agent in the Los Angeles office when he originally worked with Bert Summers and Lisa Cohen (this backstory came out in the 12/23 episode, when Roy argued with Lisa over her checking out whether Bert might have been dirty after the gambling revelation). It would be a safe assumption for the FBI that the Richmond mobsters wouldn't know him from that time, and with the prison-time cover established, would believe him as a criminal. It was mere dumb luck that put him with the crooked marshal who recognized him; the marshal said he'd met Roy when transporting a witness to a trial, so it wasn't in the marshal's home turf of Virginia/D.C.