What's new

Line level Vs Speaker level connection for sub (1 Viewer)

Ben F

Grip
Hey guys

I was just wondering what the difference between these two connections are??.......i'm interested if speaker level connections lose any bass signals??

And can someone tell me why when i hook up my sub (sa-wm40)to my mini system through speaker wires, it is much more effective than through rca cable??

Jeffrey_Jones

Second Unit
Hello Ben,
What is your exact configuration and equipment? How you connect your sub will depend on your equipment and what you are trying to accomplish.
If your mini system has 5.1 capability with a dedicated sub RCA output then you can use this output for the sub connection. You would then set your front speakers to small and your sub to yes.
If it does not, then you can feed your front speaker outputs through the sub and then out to your main speakers. In this setup you should set your front L/R speakers to full range and select no sub. Your sub would have to have a crossover on it that divided the appropriate frequencies between your sub and your main speakers.
Either configuration would work. Most people with a true 5.1 system seem to favor sending the .1 signal through a dedicated output to the sub and separately wiring the front speakers with speaker wire. It is also very common to add a second sub that is dedicated to your front and/or rear speakers and wired inline using speaker wire outputs from the receiver as described above.
I hope this helps.
Thanks,
Jeff

Jeffrey_Jones

Second Unit
Ben,

I forgot to ask...what RCA output are you using from the mini system to the sub. Is it fixed or variable? Does it use a built in crossover? Describe you system in more detail and you will probably get more of a response.

Thanks,

Jeff

Ben F

Grip
Hey Jeff
I was kinda hesitant to describe my setup cos it's nowhere near as good what you guys have!!
So anyway, it's a sony stereo system with 5.1 output, I wasn't sure what you meant my what kind of rca connection, i'm just using the rca cable supplied ( it's black and thin)
when i hooked it up with the rca cable the bass was very disappointing ( turned the level all the way up, set my speakers to small, raised the sub output to +6db and yet there was little improvement)
So I think i will have to go for speaker level connection, can you tell me if i'm losing any significant bass signals if i do this, or will it be just as effective??
Thanx in advance :)

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
Ben, I would not run speaker connections to this sub.

Your best connection in this scenario is definitely line level input.

If you think your bass is lacking, experiment with sub placement, try corner loading it if possible.

Also set your crossover adjustment to the max on the SA-WM 40 I think it's 180hz.

Speaker connections are not going to give you any more bass volume, because I believe it is still using the subs amp, the only difference is with speaker connections, the sub receives all frequency info and extracts the bass and sends the rest of the info to the mains.

Again, experiment with placement.

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
And can someone tell me why when i hook up my sub (sa-wm40)to my mini system through speaker wires, it is much more effective than through rca cable??
Maybe that particular sub bypasses it's own amp when being fed by speaker level inputs, and uses your receivers amp.

However if you have a mini system, I would think the subs amp would be more powerful for driving the sub than the mini systems amp.

Hmmmmm....

Ben F

Grip
My mini system has 120W output ( I think) and my sub is 100W ( Aussie version :frowning: ).....could it be that when i hook it up with the speaker wires, the system is powering the speakers and thus gives more power to the amp?? ( I hope that makes sense!!)

Jeffrey_Jones

Second Unit
If you like the way your system sounds using the speaker wire connection then I would go with that. From your receiver, into the sub and then into your front speakers. As long as your front speakers are set to large and your sub is set to off you will not be losing anything. Your sub should use the receiver's power to drive the front speakers and the built in amp for the sub. If it sounds good, you're in business.

Thanks,

Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks