What's new

Line-level runs (1 Viewer)

Don_Vernon

Auditioning
Not sure if this is the right forum for this - there is none for "stupid wiring questions"...

In my application I would like to make moderately long line-level connections to integrate audio systems on two levels of my home. During a remodeling project I put inwall runs of shielded twisted pair cables for this purpose. Now I am unsure of how to make connections. The cables consist of two pair of 22 gauge wire, each pair surrounded by a shield, plus an uninsulated wire inside the jacket. When terminating the cable to an RCA plug or jack, does one solder the both wires of a pair to the jack or plug, one to the pin and one to the outside? Or should the uninsulated wire be connected to the outside (shield) part of the connector for more than one terminator/connector?

Why do I want to do this? Well, it's a hobby, right? So it doesn't have to be a very good reason. But I want to be able to connect an audio source on the lower level with an amplifier on the upper level, and vice versa. Thanks.

RayJK

Stunt Coordinator
If I had to do it, I would do it as you described. One wire to the pin and one wire to the shield. The bare wire I'd ignore.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks