Line level or speaker level for sub, best option ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Tompkins, Mar 15, 2002.

1. John Tompkins

John Tompkins Supporting Actor

If you are hooking an amplified subwoofer to your side speakers and you have an option of speaker level versus line level, which is the best way ?

If you are using speaker level connections, is the subwoofer amp powering your side speakers or just the sub ? Is your main amp powering your sides ? and sub amp only powering crossed over frequency below set point or how exactly does this work ?

Im thinking about having powered subs hooked up to my side speakers crossed over with the sub high pass crossover and I dont want to denegrate the sound quality of my sides by powering them with the sub amp ??

2. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

When you say 'side' I take it you mean L/R main...

Most often the best choice is to use the RCA. That way you will not interrupt the amplified speaker-level signal, the receiver can be set to small for main speaker size, and the rec's amps will not work so hard.

Conversely, the rec's amps will have to reproduce all of the signal, bass included, have a filter in-line between the amp and the speaker, 2 additional connections.

The sub's amp only works with the bass, and amps the sub only. The mains get their power from the rec. The sub amp won't affect the mains. Just the hookup options will have a potential to degrade the signal...

3. John Tompkins

John Tompkins Supporting Actor

Colin,

I have the mc-1 and it has what they call bass enhance. It works by sending bass to side speakers set to large. My vs2.4 {sides}only go to 60hz so I want to add a sub and run them set on large and crossed over with the subwoofer crossover.

I also have a parasound 2205. So what your saying would be best is to use pre-out from lex out to sub in {line level input} and then another rca from line out from sub back to my parasound and from there speaker level out directly to vs2.4... as opposed to just using lex pre outs to parasound and from there to sub speaker level inputs and speaker level outputs to vs2.4s correct...thanks

4. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

That's some higher level stuff that I'm not really familiar with...I'd have to see it and play with it to be comfy giving recommendations...Sorry

- C

5. John Desmond

John Desmond Stunt Coordinator

6. Jimmy P

Jimmy P Stunt Coordinator

The best way (line level or speaker level)depends on whatever sounds best to you.The Polk speaker site recommends speaker level connections for a number of their sub sat combo's claiming you get better sound with that type of connection,ive also noticed in stores (Best Buy, Circuit City) that some of the home theater displays that have been setup by the manufactures (JBL,Yamaha,etc)use speaker level connections.The answer to your other question,no the sub amp does not power your side(main) speakers.