Line Jumping at Amusement parks

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Chris Bardon, Jun 27, 2005.

1. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

So I was up at Canada's Wonderland the other day, and besides the interesting cross-section of people you see in these places, I noticed a bunch of points where people just don't seem to notice that there's anyone else there. For one thing, there's been a "no smoking in lines" policy for a couple of years now, but sure enough, there are always more than a few assholes who can't seem to figure out that this rule applies to them.

The one that I noticed was really bad this year was line jumping. Last year, they started putting up big signs in the busier queues that essentially said that if you cut in line, you can be kicked out of the park, and that this includes leaving and reentering the line for ANY reason. Sure ehough though, there were at least a dozen times through the day where people seemed to think that this was a rule for everyone except for them, and that "they were just trying to get back to their friends" up ahead. I finally had enough and just stopped letting them by, telling them that they could meet their friends at the exit, or get in the back of the line, but that I wasn't letting them by. Why, after I've been waiting an hour already, should I just let you hop in front of me?

The problem is, it seemed like I got more dirty looks for confronting these people than the ones who were trying to cut through. I guess what I'm wondering is whether I'm the asshole here? I kind of think of it like being in a store and seing someone shoplifting-it's just wrong, and I don't see why we should just sit back and not do anything about it.

2. Bryan X

Bryan X Producer

I love it when people try to get past me in line because they want to join their friends up ahead. I always tell them that their friends are more than welcome to move BACK to join them. [​IMG]

It's funny, everyone wants to join their friends by moving up, but they never yell to their friends up front to move back and join the group.

3. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

That seems unreasonable to me. If you and the person you're with get in line, and you need to use the restroom, it seems like he or she should be able to hold your place. I would agree though that you shouldn't be able to cut ahead just because you see some friends there.

4. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

I agree Robert. Now, if there's a group of friends and they're all heading to a ride, and a couple of them stop at the bathroom or stop to get drinks and tell the rest they'll meet them there, I think they should be able to join their group.

5. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

If it's that important for the group to wait in line together, then the group should wait until everyone has finished their bathroom/refreshment breaks to get in line. Making exceptions causes too many problems, since there will be people who abuse the situation.

6. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Not an amusement park, but this April at the Independant Film Festival of Boston, I got in line behind a guy who was related to the filmmaker and was holding a spot for someone else. The one guy in front of me eventually became seventeen. I was, as you might imagine, annoyed. Not that I think I deserved to get in there more than the director's cousin, but this just struck me as somewhat rude.

7. KeithMoechnig

KeithMoechnig Stunt Coordinator

When I went to Cedar Point in Sandusky last year, I went on Millenium Force. We waiter for a good hour and a half, mainly because of other people cutting lines and security officers dealing with line cutters. Without the problem of line jumping, it may have taken 0 minutes to an hour.

8. Michael Caicedo

Michael Caicedo Second Unit

Michael Caicedo
    Gawwwlly. I would never wait in line that long...

9. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Well, what are you going to do? I didn't get a festival pass because there was the chance I'd have to come into the office over the weekend, and I wanted to see that movie. Pretty much every movie started 15-30 minutes late and if you didn't have a pass, you were waiting until (theoretically) ten minutes before the start time to see how many seats were left (in practice, it was fifteen minutes after the advertised time).

I'm more astounded at the waiting an hour and a half for a two-minute amusement park ride. They're great, but I was only waiting an hour for a 90 minute movie. The line-to-entertainment ratio for movies, even at an aggravating festival, seems much better.

(And, don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the IFFB, but I'm getting a pass next year, because my time IS a little more valuable than this)

Also, that "one guy" was just the guy immediately in front of me; there were a couple dozen people in front of him. It's just that his friend came, then his friend's brother, then their father, then his sister... I've got no problem holding a place in line for one other person, and my brother says four isn't unreasonable, but seventeen?

10. Greg*go

Greg*go Supporting Actor

But if you're waiting in line for 1.5+ hrs, someone might have to hit the bathroom while they are in line. I've never noticed this as an epidemic like others here are making it seem. Maybe I've just never tried to notice it. If I'm at the end of a line, I'll see people jumping in with their friends, but that doesn't bother me. I've never seen a spot held at the front of the line for someone though.

11. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

This is the reason we no longer go to amusement parks like Cedar Point. I don't enjoy spending an entire day mostly standing line. It was not anywhere near that bad 20+ years ago when I was in school (mostly 20 minute waits), but the last couple of times we went every ride was an hour or more wait. No thanks.

As Yogi Berra would say, "that place is so crowded that no one goes there anymore". [​IMG]

12. Mort Corey

Mort Corey Supporting Actor

My daughter has told me that at Disneyland you can now "reserve" a space in line and then return to the ride at your scheduled time. Don't know quite how it works.

Mort

13. Hunter P

Hunter P Screenwriter

Its only for a handful of rides (the most popular.) You get a "Fast Pass" and it tells you to come back in a few hours. When you come back you have to wait in the "Fast Pass" line which is considerably shorter than the main line. Your wait time might be 30 mins instead of 1+ hours.

I was there recently and never used the Fast Pass. There seemed to be like 5 rides that had it. Two of them were shut down and the others had estimated wait times that were acceptable. Why come back in four hours when the posted wait time in the main line was like 30-45 mins?

14. Tommy G

Tommy G Screenwriter

Mort, there is something called "Fast Pass" at Disney. Universal has adapted this as well. The way it works is that you "fast pass" the ride and it gives you a timeframe to come back and you get to go in the "fast pass" line. You can only use this once every two hours though. It helps out a lot.

15. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

Uh, Jason, I think he was making a joke that the guy waited in line so long he TURNED 17 years old during the wait. He was goofing on how you phrased it. [​IMG]

BTW, except for the movie Breaking Away I HATE CUTTERS!

Also we were just at 6 Flags St. Louis and they have an upgraded version of the Disney "timeframe ticket". They will rent you a pager that even sends LCD updates as the line wait adjusts. You get messages like "You Batman line spot is now only 10 minutes away, you should come to the ride as soon as possible". That makes it more efficient by allowing it to adjust for rides breaking down, going smoother, etc.

16. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

The disney fastpass system is probably the best one out there-I know the last time that we were there we'd often grab a fastpass for one ride, wait in line for something else nearby, and then go back and use the pass (did this a few times with Tower of Terror and the Aerosmith coaster at MGM).

As for the cutters, I don't even care if they're within the first five minutes of the line or so-if you got held up getting a drink or something, fine. It's the people who are obviously taking turns having one person wait in line for a group of six.

17. Patrick_S

Patrick_S Producer

Not at all, at airports I use to say no to people who wanted to cut in at the front of the security line but no one has asked to do that in a long time. Besides must airports have zip zapped their lines making it harder for people to "beg in" at the front.

Yes I know I sound heartless but if you miss your flight because of poor planning that's not my fault.

18. Matt^Brown

Matt^Brown Supporting Actor

Chris if so then I am an asshole too! The problem I find is that in life in general people are reluctant to speak up for what is right. I suspect that the reason you get upset about it is because you would never cut and I am the same way. I feel that I give people respect and they don't show it back which causes speak out about the injustice. I should note that my wife also thinks I am just being an asshole.

19. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

I love the "sidlers" that show up in somewhat unorganized lines. They will sort of stand next to you in line and inch their way so they're a nose ahead of you.

This just happened to me at a line for drinks at a wedding reception this past weekend! Some old lady sidled up next to me as I was waiting. I was obviously the next person to be waited on. As soon as the bartender raised her head she blurted "I'll have a diet coke". I thought against starting a ruckus at a wedding and let her go.

I know what you mean though, Chris. It's infuriating when people are so blatently inconsiderate.