Line doublers? Pixel boosters?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by LarryDavenport, Jun 24, 2003.

1. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

A friend who has an HDTV asked me if it was worth it for him to buy a "pixel booster" something I am unfamiliar with. He says the salesman told him that it would allow him to watch DVDs or standard TV with an HDTV resolution. Is this true, and if so, can someone recommend a product?

2. adamKI

adamKI Stunt Coordinator

I think what the salesman was talking about is a Video Scaler that converts NTSC signals to 1080i or 720p.

Since most TVs have line doublers built in, you don't NEED to scale your video. But built-in line doublers vary in quality so if your friend is dissatisfied with the image quality of cable or OTA broadcasts, a video scaler might help.

The least expensive on that I've seen for sale is made by AV Toolbox and is located on the web here.

Good luck!

3. Albert Damico

Albert Damico Stunt Coordinator

OK. HDTV is 1080i resolution. DVD's will not play at anywhere near that resolution they usually play at 480i. That is unless you buy a progressive DVD player and then the picture is 480p. Not HDTV quality, but significantly better than 480i. And of course, any material that is broadcast that is not HDTV format will come through in 480i as well. Now, most RPTV's, at least, come with built in line doublers that will upconvert the standard picture. But most line doublers in RPTV's are horrible. with a few exceptions like the Pioneer Elite models. So...what some people do is they will buy an external, high quality, line doubler. Now they will route their VCR, their standard TV broadcasts, and their DVD players (non progressive) through the doubler which vastly improves picture quality of all those devices I named by converting the picture to 480p, which is the highest quality a doubler will do. Rather than interlace by shooting every other line, it doubles the lines, hence the name doubler. I have one and it works fabulous. I bought it from DVDO and it is the Iscan Pro model. It is the most cost effective doubler and delivers an outstanding picture quality.