Line Doubler with Zenith DSV-100 DLP FP

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Leroy R, Feb 15, 2002.

1. Leroy R

Leroy R Stunt Coordinator

I recently acquired a Zenith DSV-100 DLP Front Projector. I am wondering if the DVDO iScan Pro or iScan V2 line doublers will work with this projector and if so, will it give a very noticably better image projected on the screen?

I am currently projecting on a home made screen that is approximately 118" wide x 72" tall. I am looking at the Stewart Film GrayHawk or FireHawk screens as a future upgrade and would also like some feedback on these regarding how they compare to something like a matte white 1:1 DaLite screen. So far the one thing I have done that has given me the most improvement in my viewing experience has been to paint the wall behind my screen flat black. Phenomenal improvement just by doing that.

2. Bill Lucas

Bill Lucas Supporting Actor

Leroy,

You should only use a scaler with a digital projector. The scaler should be set to output the native resolution of the projector. Anything else (like an iScan) will introduce artifacts. Stewart makes the finest screens available. The Firehawk is made specifically for use with DLP projectors. I would not use a Grayhawk with a DLP prijector. The Da-Lite screen you've mentioned is leagues below the Stewart. Regards.

3. Leroy R

Here are the video and input specs. for the projector. Would the SVGA, XGA(Compressed)and RGB PC Input make it compatible with the iScan? If so will it make a significant improvement to the displayed image?

From what I have read, I was thinking the RGB PC Input and its ability to scan at greater than 35 kHz made it compatible. Is this correct?

I am hoping the the iScan will eliminate the flicker and some of the jagginess of the image. I don't expect to get HDTV quality, but do hope for a significant improvement at the existing resolution. I don't want to waste my money if the improvement is going to be so insignificant that I won't be able to notice it or if as you say that it may actually degrade the image quality.

The DVD changer I have is an Onkyo DV-M301 and it has component video outputs.

Projector Video:

Aspect Ratio: 4:3

Contrast Ratio: 230:1 (ANSI Checkerboard typ)

Comb Filter: No

Video Filter: No

Horizontal/Vertical Scan Rate: 15–60 kHz/48–85 Hz

Light Engine Technology: Digital Micromirror Device (DMD)

Color Wheel: Data Enhanced

Resolution: SVGA (Native), XGA (Compressed)

Lumens: 800 (ANSI)

Brightness Uniformity: 85% typ

Video Standards: NTSC M, PAL, B/D/G/I/H/M, SECAM, VGA, SVGA, XGA

Screen Sizes: Front Projector 70'' to 200''

Optical Focus: Motorized

Optical Zoom: Motorized 1.5x

Lens Type: Zeiss

# of Panels: 1

Projector Input/Output Jacks:

S-Video In: 1

S-Video Out: 0

Variable Audio Out: N/A

A/V In: 1 Composite Video

A/V Out: 1 Composite, 1 S-Video

Other: EVC cable for RGB PC Input

# of S-Video Jacks: 1

4. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

If the projector takes regular VGA, 640 x 480 x 60 Hz ((31.5 KHz scan rate) then the iScan units will work just fine.
    The iScan will probably do a better job then feeding video directly into the projector. Since it is advertised with no comb filter, the line doubler (needed to display NTSC video in a data environment) is probably crude as well.
    Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

5. Leroy R

Thanks for the feedback. It sounds like the line doubler will work with my projector, but I'm still not clear on how much of an improvement it will make to the projected image. Can I get some more feedback on the level of improvement a line doubler will make for a Front Projector with a native resolution of 800 x 600?

6. Bill Lucas

Bill Lucas Supporting Actor

Leroy,

To get an optimum image you should send your projector a resolution of 800 X 600. A 640 X 480 image (line doubled) will introduce artifacts.

7. Leroy R

Thanks for your input. I guess I am just going to have to live with the jagged edges.

Update:

I was able to borrow the use of a line doubler and at least for DVD movie watching, it did make a very noticable improvement to the picture quality (scanning and jagged edges disappeared). No observable artifacts that myself or the AV Rep. that I borrowed the doubler from could see.