Line double for Mitsubishi

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Don K, Jan 9, 2002.

1. Don K

Don K Agent

I seem to get the feeling people feel that the line doubler in the Mitsubishi is inferior to the Pioneer Elite. Since the Elite is out of my price range would adding an external doubler like the Iscan Pro be of any benefit? I am looking at the Diamond series Mitsubishi.

2. Steven Simon

Steven Simon Producer

Steven Simon
    Moved to TV and Projectors Area....

3. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

If you go with a progressive scan DVD player and an HD set top box the line doubler is by passed anyway....

4. DustinDavis

DustinDavis Stunt Coordinator

Don,

I did tests of the Mits line doubler in last year's models vs. iScan, for DVD input. The difference was so clear to the naked eye it was remarkable. The iScan image was obviously far more smooth, filmlike, and free from artifacts. Whether it's worth the money or not is up to you, but I just about guarantee that you will notice the difference unless Mits has made some major upgrades to the doubler this year--which based on my own Mits (without an iScan), they have not.

The other recommendations for a progressive scan player are also good ideas.

5. Eric Kahn

Eric Kahn Guest

now I understand why the Mitsubishi HDTV I bought really sucked at normal TV, I returned it the same day

as an off subject aside, why can't they put an anolog TV mode into HDTV's so you could turn off the line doubler??

Are there any normal TV's out there that will take a progressive scan input from a DVD player?

6. Dave Reichert

Dave Reichert Stunt Coordinator

Eric,

I think you can actually turn off the line doubler on the Panny 47WX49. I know in tinkering with it I found a setting for scan mode that had "game" and "tv". "Game" appeared to be standard, while "tv" appeared to be doubled.

I do wish more sets would integrate this feature into their sets, I really don't care for line doublers.

Where could I find some more info on this iScan, it sounds like an interesting unit.

7. Robert McDonald

Robert McDonald Stunt Coordinator

Dave, go to ecoustics.com and do a search for iscan and you will have some articles about it. You can go to dvdo.com, the company that made it (before dvdo was bought out by silicon image, but you can get there through the dvdo address.

8. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter