Line conditioner - worth it?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Garcia, Feb 22, 2002.

1. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Not sure where this should go, so I'll start with it here.

I read a few posts previously regarding line conditioners, and I have been considering a lower end Panamax or equivalent. Are they really worth it? Good place to get the best price, alternatives, etc...

Thanks.

2. AjayM

AjayM Screenwriter

Well it all depends on how bad the power is in your house. Unfortunatly there is no "easy" way to test for that. You may have very clean power, in which case a power conditioner may not do anything for you, and maybe even make things a little worse. I'd see that as a rare condition, but it could happen.

On the other side of the coin, most power conditioners have much better surge protection built into them than just a simple power strip, so you gain a big benefit/insurance on that side of it.

Andrew

3. John Garcia

John
    Let me also ad: line conditioner value/worth vs the DIY version of adding caps directly to the incoming power (internally) on a DVD/CD player.

I don't really get noise, nor do the lights dim when I turn the whole system on, but if I would see some improvement in performance, as well as the superior surge suppression, I would be willing to buy one.

4. AjayM

AjayM Screenwriter

Well, I originally bought the HTS1000 (I think, something like $100-150 or so from Best Buy), I bought it mostly because I was using cheap surge protectors (which I knew were totally inadequate) and it had a bunch of outlets on it for convience. I've since upgraded to one of the higher-end Monster units because I outgrew the smaller one (needed more outlets, and the 12v remote turn on stuff was nice as well). I didn't notice any difference in sound, but now that I've lived with it for awhile who knows what I would hear if I took it all out. I did notice a little cleaner picture on the TV, mostly with cable sources which was nice. But living in S. Florida with it's wonderful lightning storms which can occur pretty much year round, and the fact that FPL is just horrible about supplying power (I get 2-3 blackouts and brownouts a week) it's nice to have the peace of mind.

I am curious about the AVS2000 product though, as I do get light dimming at times, so I can imagine that I'm getting some minor voltage swings.

Andrew

5. John Garcia

John
    I'm not expecting to see and/or hear "how could I have lived without this" improvement, any would be a benefit. I am more concerned, as mentioned, with the inadecquacy of a basic surge suppressor.
    We don't see too many lightning storms here in the Bay Area, even in winter. (last time I checked it was winter, but it was 70deg yesterday, mid 60s today [​IMG] ) Thanks.

6. AjayM

AjayM Screenwriter

I'd find a dealer that has a good return policy and give it a go and see what happens. The surge protection is worth it to me, and there is a lot more than just lighting that will cause surges, any time the power goes out and comes back on (blackout/brownout) you risk getting a surge, maybe not at the same level as a lightning storm, but still enough that you could potentially do damage to equipment.

There's also some convience features that some of them have, like 12v remote turn on (was very helpful when I had an amp and a reciever), switched outlets that can be timed (so I can turn on my sub amp and BFD in a way that I don't get the dreaded thump). Most of them will surge protect phone lines and cable lines which is an overlooked weak spot.

I'm curious as to which DIY tweak you were talking about on like the CD player? I've heard of people upgrading caps on the output stages of them, but not in the power supply (but I don't read a whole lot about tweaking equipment).

Andrew

7. John Garcia

John
    This is the DIY link I was reading, from another post on this forum:
    Tweak Link