What's new

Line Conditioner Questions (1 Viewer)

RyanL

Stunt Coordinator
You'll have to excuse my nieve-ness on this subject, but frankly I don't know much about them. I'm interested in getting a high-quality surge protector for my equipment. Should I look into getting a line conditioner instead? Who makes quality equipment at a reasonable price (~$500 or less)? I've heard that panamax does a pretty good job, and I'm sure that monster cable has one too. . . any experience with these? I appreciate all your help on this matter. Thanks.

John Wielgosz

Stunt Coordinator
I just added a Monster Power HTS1000 into my system, not fully expecting any improvements, it was to better protect my speakers from popping when I turned on my backlight. And protect my gear it does, however:
My high and mid-bass frequencies have smoothed out nicely.
Black retention level, a weakness on my direct-view set, improved noticeably, as well as color vividness (deeper shades without being overly saturated).
The HTS1000 typically goes for approx. $150 in brick-and-mortar stores. You could probably find it online for $99.
Of course, your results may vary. My system is somewhat middle-end and not a massive power hog. Also, due to my house's less than stellar wiring, I stood to gain more from power conditioning.
Monster makes several other models. I believe the HTS3500 goes for somewhere in the $500 range.

RyanL

Stunt Coordinator
John, Thanks very much for your reply, it was nice to see someone who has first-hand knowledge about the improvement that a line conditioner might bring. My house is new (1-yr old) and so I probably wouldn't notice as much of an improvment, but my system isn't exactly high-end either so I might notice some gain. Regardless,I would still like to protect what I got and with a line conditioner it doesn't seem like they would change that much from year to year.
Dan, There was some great reading on that site including how the power brick actually works. Very nice. Thanks for the link!

Dave N.

Stunt Coordinator
Ryan,
Don't worry about the typo. I have tried line conditioners and have found no significant change in my HT. It all depends on your wiring,electricity quality, and components. I strongly recommend only buying a power conditioner if it comes with a 30 day trial in your house. Everyone's results will vary.
Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks