Line array concept drawings posted

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott Pultz, Sep 4, 2002.

1. Scott Pultz

Scott Pultz Auditioning

Hello,
    I made a concept drawing of a few line array ideas that I have floating around in my head. I know that these designs aren't cheap, but I'm trying to come up with the ultimate performance line array which I could hopefully build someday. The length of these lines could be increased for the cost of extra drivers. The lengths given would put my ear at the center of the line while seated which I've heard is beneficial.
    Design 1
    BG RD50 (or possibly Z130) crossed over to a line of 8 Raven R2 tweeters
    xover between 2khz and 4khz
    monopole or dipole for the RD50
    Design 2
    Seas Excel 5 inch magnesium drivers crossed over to a line of 8 Raven R2 tweeters
    xover at 2khz
    monopole or dipole for the Seas drivers
    [​IMG]
    Opinions are welcome!
    Thanks,
    Scott

2. Alexi

Alexi Auditioning

If money is not of a concern why not go for a line of Raven R3 crossed at 500Hz 6th/order to a line of Lambda Dipole 15”woofers.
    I don’t think much of anything could beat this Dipole line array
    [​IMG]

3. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

I've been picking the brains of Jon and Thomas on the DIY portion of HTGuide. You might want to read the threads there. Those guys shared a wealth of info on such things as monopole vs dipole, baffle width, baffle tapering, RD series recommended crossover points, etc, etc. Also, I had GR Research's new Alpha LS arrays in my home and they sounded great - for $1795 plus the cost of cabinets, you'd have a heck of a system.
    Question: why do an RD50 and a stack of Raven's? What would you do for the upper bass and bass frequencies? Jon and Thomas pointed out that the RD's shouldn't be pushed hard down low and recommended a 500 - 600 Hz crossover to them. They also emphasized that the low end should be a line source to match the ribbon line source.
    I've become very interested in line sources since hearing the GR Research units and was thinking about something a bit smaller, maybe a B-G RD50 with a stack of 5" or 6 1/2" alongside. Now I'm pondering dipole or monopole.

4. Scott Pultz

Scott Pultz Auditioning

I would plan on mating this system with a sub woofer, perhaps a dipole one.
    Although the RD75 probably can't be pushed below 500hz, the Z130 drivers (www.radiapro.com) can have an x-over at 150hz without too much trouble.
    I'll check out htguide! Thanks!

5. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

Scott, those RPS drivers look like Boehlender-Graebner units and the specs are close, except for power handling, which is very different. For the B-G RD50, it's 70W RMS/270W Max, for the Z-130, it's 250W continuous/1000W peak. Are the RPS units actually beefier versions of the RD series, made to RPS spec? I assume the RPS power handling is the reason you say they can be crossed over at 150 Hz with no problem, right? I also assume they're even more expensive than B-G drivers.

6. Pete Mazz

Pete Mazz Supporting Actor

After looking at their site, I realized they're right around the corner from me. May have to drop by.

Pete

7. Scott Pultz

Scott Pultz Auditioning

The RPS units are different. The material used in the ribbons can take more power, however they also roll off above 10khz and require active EQ to boost them back up. The RPS units also have 6 ribbon "turns" (runs) while the stock BG units only have 4 ribbon turns.
    Wisdom Audio uses the RPS ribbons, but dedicates two of the turns for high frequencies. Their ultra high end system uses 3 drivers per side. Two go up to 600hz and the middle one goes from 600hz on up to 20khz.
    The RPS units are more expensive than the stock BG units. I'm also not sure if they sell to the DIY crowd, but in this economy perhaps they could be convinced [​IMG]
    Scott