What's new

Lindt Chocolate (1 Viewer)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I assume Lindt Chocolate is pretty popular?

My friend got me on this kick with the 85% cocoa bars. Being one who has tried to eliminate as much sugar from my diet, these bars are great. Low amounts of sugar and the cocoa is good for your skin.

Anyways, if you've never had 85% cocoa before, to give you an idea, Bakers Chocolate is around 70%, so 85% is an aquired taste.

Anwyays, I went with my friend to the Lindt store and my mouth nearly fell out of its socket when I saw the newest bar!!!! 99% Cocoa!!!!!!!!! :eek:

Oh my god! The warnings on the wrapper were hysterical! They warn you to try the 70%, then work your way up to 85% before venturing to the 99%.

Well, I have been doing the 85% for a few years now, but nothing prepared me for this treat! It was like crack! I felt like we were doing drugs! LOL - My friend put a little piece on her tounge and I was yelling "Let it melt! Don't swallow it!" LOL

Anyone else try this yet??? It's weird, it's amazingly gross. It's so strong, but there's something alluring (and addictive) to it.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I had some 80% recently from a small local European shop, ground cocoa dust came off the bar in places. Awesome.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I've tried Lindt's 70% cocoa bars and that's about the upper limit of my cocoa percentage. I can imagine how 85% must taste like, and 99% is just straight eating the cocoa bean, I'm sure ;)

But man, once you have these gourmet bars, you can never go back to Hershey/Nestle/etc. :D

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Exactly. Just like drinking Coffee is to eating a coffee bean. Powerful stuff.

I told a co-worker that a regular Hershey Bar is to Miller Lite as 99% Cocoa bar is to Guinness. :D

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Lindt is good—very good. I’ve not tried the 99% bar (and don’t expect that I can find it here). But I’d be quite interested.

For commercial bars, I’ve always been very partial to Valrhona. They also make very fine chocolate for baking, as does Scharffenberger.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Don't you guys have chocolate clubs etc over your side of the herring pond? Wait until you start sampling bars made from single variety cocoa beans ...

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
We are not entirely devoid of being able to spend large amounts of money on obscure pursuits. I’ve tried all of these, as the retail outlet is in a north Dallas suburb.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
There's no sugar at all in the entire candy bar. I'm not sure if this will satisfy your sweet tooth.

I brought some into work and I've been hyping it up to a co-worker. He looked at it and was like "WOW! It's darker than I thought!" - He put a little piece in his mouth and was like "Ok, it's not as bad as I imagined it would be" - Then he waited a bit and said "So when is it supposed to get bad?"....

I figured I hyped it up too much, then all of a sudden he goes crazy and was like "OH MY GOD! I don't think I like this!" and started running around the room. LOL

It was pretty funny. :D

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I just bought a bar of the 85% at lunch today. But not for eating: I plan on making hot cocoa out of it.

I've always been in pursuit of rich, strong hot cocoa (not the Swiss Miss tasting kind). The closest I got to it was probably Starbucks' Chantico drink. I'm hoping that melting this 85% cocoa + a little sugar will do the trick.

For hot cocoa mixes, the only thing I've tried and liked is the Godiva Dark Chocolate Truffle hot cocoa mix (not the standard hot cocoa mix from them which is milk chocolate).

I'll let you all know how it turns out. :D

Dennis*G

Supporting Actor

Isn't it the time of year we need to revive that thread?!?

OK, who else here has tried to eat the cocoa powder out of the can before? I can't be the only one :b

(If you haven't tried, don't)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
LOL - I'm sure the powder is worse because it's so dry. This bar, at least, has some butteryness to it, so it's a bit smoother than straight powder.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
The ingredients are (in this order): Chocolate, Cocoa Powder, cocoa butter, and Sugar.

The nutritional info shows 0g of sugar, but there's probably so little that it barely registers on the chart. The cocoa butter must be the other 1%. It's probably what holds the powder into a solid form.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Andrew, thank you for the recommendation (and interesting history lesson!). Looks like a winner. I will have to try and find a reseller here in the U.S. as it's $25 for a can if I buy through the website! :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks