Lindt Chocolate

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by MarkHastings, Dec 13, 2005.

1. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

I assume Lindt Chocolate is pretty popular?

My friend got me on this kick with the 85% cocoa bars. Being one who has tried to eliminate as much sugar from my diet, these bars are great. Low amounts of sugar and the cocoa is good for your skin.

Anyways, if you've never had 85% cocoa before, to give you an idea, Bakers Chocolate is around 70%, so 85% is an aquired taste.

Anwyays, I went with my friend to the Lindt store and my mouth nearly fell out of its socket when I saw the newest bar!!!! 99% Cocoa!!!!!!!!! [​IMG]

Oh my god! The warnings on the wrapper were hysterical! They warn you to try the 70%, then work your way up to 85% before venturing to the 99%.

Well, I have been doing the 85% for a few years now, but nothing prepared me for this treat! It was like crack! I felt like we were doing drugs! LOL - My friend put a little piece on her tounge and I was yelling "Let it melt! Don't swallow it!" LOL

Anyone else try this yet??? It's weird, it's amazingly gross. It's so strong, but there's something alluring (and addictive) to it.

2. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I had some 80% recently from a small local European shop, ground cocoa dust came off the bar in places. Awesome.

3. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

I've tried Lindt's 70% cocoa bars and that's about the upper limit of my cocoa percentage. I can imagine how 85% must taste like, and 99% is just straight eating the cocoa bean, I'm sure [​IMG]

But man, once you have these gourmet bars, you can never go back to Hershey/Nestle/etc. [​IMG]

4. MarkHastings

Exactly. Just like drinking Coffee is to eating a coffee bean. Powerful stuff.

I told a co-worker that a regular Hershey Bar is to Miller Lite as 99% Cocoa bar is to Guinness. [​IMG]

5. Craig Oberg

Craig Oberg Agent

I've gotta get me some of that stuff. I've always been a big fan of their 85% bars.

Another treat for chocolate addicts are Cacao Nibs from
    ScharffenBerger. They're hard to find.
    The local Whole Foods store has them periodically. Intense!!

http://www.scharffenberger.com/produ...products_id=48

6. MarkHastings

7. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Lindt is good—very good. I’ve not tried the 99% bar (and don’t expect that I can find it here). But I’d be quite interested.

For commercial bars, I’ve always been very partial to Valrhona. They also make very fine chocolate for baking, as does Scharffenberger.

8. andrew markworthy

Don't you guys have chocolate clubs etc over your side of the herring pond? Wait until you start sampling bars made from single variety cocoa beans ...

9. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

We are not entirely devoid of being able to spend large amounts of money on obscure pursuits. I’ve tried all of these, as the retail outlet is in a north Dallas suburb.

10. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

I can't wait to find one of those...I'm a BIG time sweet tooth

11. Dennis*G

Dennis*G Supporting Actor

Wow. I'm still working with 65% bars....

12. MarkHastings

There's no sugar at all in the entire candy bar. I'm not sure if this will satisfy your sweet tooth.

I brought some into work and I've been hyping it up to a co-worker. He looked at it and was like "WOW! It's darker than I thought!" - He put a little piece in his mouth and was like "Ok, it's not as bad as I imagined it would be" - Then he waited a bit and said "So when is it supposed to get bad?"....

I figured I hyped it up too much, then all of a sudden he goes crazy and was like "OH MY GOD! I don't think I like this!" and started running around the room. LOL

It was pretty funny. [​IMG]

13. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I was thinking the same thing.... But hoping he would try it without knowing that.... [​IMG]

14. Carlo Medina

I just bought a bar of the 85% at lunch today. But not for eating: I plan on making hot cocoa out of it.

I've always been in pursuit of rich, strong hot cocoa (not the Swiss Miss tasting kind). The closest I got to it was probably Starbucks' Chantico drink. I'm hoping that melting this 85% cocoa + a little sugar will do the trick.

For hot cocoa mixes, the only thing I've tried and liked is the Godiva Dark Chocolate Truffle hot cocoa mix (not the standard hot cocoa mix from them which is milk chocolate).

I'll let you all know how it turns out. [​IMG]

15. Dennis*G

Dennis*G Supporting Actor

Isn't it the time of year we need to revive that thread?!?

OK, who else here has tried to eat the cocoa powder out of the can before? I can't be the only one :b

(If you haven't tried, don't)

16. MarkHastings

LOL - I'm sure the powder is worse because it's so dry. This bar, at least, has some butteryness to it, so it's a bit smoother than straight powder.

17. Carlo Medina

Now I'm curious as to what that 1% is...

18. MarkHastings

The ingredients are (in this order): Chocolate, Cocoa Powder, cocoa butter, and Sugar.

The nutritional info shows 0g of sugar, but there's probably so little that it barely registers on the chart. The cocoa butter must be the other 1%. It's probably what holds the powder into a solid form.

19. andrew markworthy

You may like to try Charbonnel and Walker's drinking chocolate (basically, chocolate flakes that you melt in hot milk). FWIW, chocolatiers to HM Queen Elizabeth.

20. Carlo Medina

Andrew, thank you for the recommendation (and interesting history lesson!). Looks like a winner. I will have to try and find a reseller here in the U.S. as it's $25 for a can if I buy through the website! [​IMG]