What's new

Limits of direct-view CRT technology. (1 Viewer)

Frank@N

Screenwriter
It's physically impossible for a direct-view set to resolve as much detail as a well-designed RPTV
I saw this statement in another thread and was intrigued.

Is this due to limited screen size (small details get lost)?

Current thought is that direct-view 16x9 sets will not be getting any larger than 34".

4:3 direct-views are larger, but the 16x9 area still isn't much larger that 34" anyway.

Question: how large of a 16x9 area is needed to appropriately display 480p in manner where even smaller details are still visible?

Frank@N

Screenwriter
My question is partly motivated by the high level of current excitement over the Sony KV-34XBR910 series.

Does their new high detail tube change the equation?

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
Some thoughts on the "detail" statement. A direct view TV produces a white dot by lighting adjacent red , blue , and green phosphors. The size of the dot is determined by the physical size and position of the phosphor dots (or stripes). An RPTV produces a white dot by sending red ,blue , and green light beams up to the screen. The beams can (and should) be placed directly on top of each other , not side-by-side. There are no individual phosphor dots on the tubes , just an overall color , so no minimum size limit on the size of the beam ; at least in theory.

Real world considerations often get in the way however , so RPTVs don't always look better than direct-view sets . Hence the "well designed" disclaimer.

Weight and size will probably limit the max size of direct-view TVs. It would be pretty tough getting a 400 pound 32 inch deep TV into most homes.

I would think almost any set that does a squeeze mode on a sloted or striped mask CRT (or RPTV) would give pretty good detail. I can't see how a dot phosphor CRT could do squeeze effectively. I would be more concerned with seating distance when picking TV size . If you're sitting 15 feet from a 34 inch TV , you're not going to see much detail regardless of the quality of the set.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks