2. Steve Berger

Steve Berger Supporting Actor

Sep 8, 2001
    Some thoughts on the "detail" statement. A direct view TV produces a white dot by lighting adjacent red , blue , and green phosphors. The size of the dot is determined by the physical size and position of the phosphor dots (or stripes). An RPTV produces a white dot by sending red ,blue , and green light beams up to the screen. The beams can (and should) be placed directly on top of each other , not side-by-side. There are no individual phosphor dots on the tubes , just an overall color , so no minimum size limit on the size of the beam ; at least in theory.

Real world considerations often get in the way however , so RPTVs don't always look better than direct-view sets . Hence the "well designed" disclaimer.

Weight and size will probably limit the max size of direct-view TVs. It would be pretty tough getting a 400 pound 32 inch deep TV into most homes.

I would think almost any set that does a squeeze mode on a sloted or striped mask CRT (or RPTV) would give pretty good detail. I can't see how a dot phosphor CRT could do squeeze effectively. I would be more concerned with seating distance when picking TV size . If you're sitting 15 feet from a 34 inch TV , you're not going to see much detail regardless of the quality of the set.