What's new

Limited Play DVD's - Son of DivX? Please, God, No!!! (1 Viewer)

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I see no threat to our favorite format.
I think it's too early to worry too much that the threat will come to pass, but to say that this (if successful) doesn't pose a threat is exactly the same thing many were saying about divx, stating that us anti-divx crusaders were worried about nothing. I firmly believe if we hadn't fought divx tooth & nail that it might have succeeded, and it's quite clear that if that had happened, I would not own the wonderful Snow White dvd that's currently on my shelf, amongst many others.

This latest attempt is unlikely to succeed, but if it does there are plenty of greedy studios who'd jump on it.

Blu

Screenwriter
Divx failed because it was a bad business model first and formost. Yes I'm sure the online community had some to do with its failure but overall it was doomed from the start.

The studios threw a ton of money into it but it still failed, they tried to make it work but you can't fix something born bad. I don't fear a format that hasn't even seen the light of day yet since it is a similar format to Divx. There are problems even with this being a rental model which would be its best chance of success. All I can say is if the studios try it and it does succeed then it is because of consumer dollars OR lack of consumer dollars.

RicP

Screenwriter
What stops people from doing this with current rentals?
Nothing. However the studio has already been paid for that disc. If these "self-destruct" discs only cost $3 at retail, people will essentially be able to buy a new DVD for $3. Where does the studio get the $$ from? The company that develops these "self-destruct" DVDs? If so then that company will most likely falter quickly and this will all be over.

Incidentally, does anyone really think Blockbuster would be behind this format? No way. No More late fees? Blockbuster makes Hundreds of Millions of dollars a year on late fees, they'll never give that up without a fight.

Even if this thing sticks for whatever reason, they will never supplant actual purchaseable DVDs. The cost of production is too high to think that you'll recoup simply based on $3 rental-purchases. It will never happen.

AaronMK

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Aaron Karp
I don't really see any threats from this that rental itself does not present.

but to say that this (if successful) doesn't pose a threat is exactly the same thing many were saying about divx, stating that us anti-divx crusaders were worried about nothing.
It is not the same:

- The system doesn't have to phone home

- the plug can't be pulled on "purchased movies" (there isn't even a purchase possibility in the system)

- there is no central database of what we view and when (even most rental outlets have that)

- The discs are not locked to a certian player

It may pose a threat to the current rental system, but for reason I have stated earlier, it does not pose any threats to the current purchase systems that the current rental system itself does not pose.

Consider all the times I have gotten bad discs when renting, all the power that Blockbuster has, and all the shit they have pulled, I might even prefer a system like this to rental.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I think we're going to have to agree to disagree. I do want to make one point though. If a studio ever did release a rental-only dvd under the current model, I could still buy the movie for unlimited ownership, I'd just have to pay a lot more to do so. Under divx or a variant thereof, you could never own it forever, and if it ever got pulled or reedited, you'd be screwed. Nuff said.

Robert Dunnill

Second Unit
What was worse about divx was the threat of exclusivity, that studios would release a film on divx only and you would never be able to own it, you could only rent it, and even with their divx-gold (supposedly unlimited play for an extra charge) a studio could lock you out by putting a film on moratorium.
FYI DivxSilver was the "upgrade" option, where for a fee, one could obtain unlimited play for a regular rental disc on a given account.

Gold was the Divx sell-through variant (unlimited play on any account), and none discs were ever sold to the public (although the DivxGold version of Mulan was ready for mass replication). The main attraction of DivxGold for a studio was the unbreakable Triple-DES encryption and the ability to trace the origin of illicit analog copies.

To my knowledge, Buena Vista was the only studio interested (for the crown jewels of their animated catalog), but in the end, Divx itself held off on any Gold releases for fear of igniting a format war.

I managed to get ahold of a photo of a DivxGold disc, but it was a dev version intended for testing the Gold subsystem. The reason this title was used (Liar Liar) was because it was one of the first titles they obtained; there were no intentions of releasing it on Gold for sell-through.

RD

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
If it ever did go through, the only we we could allow it to remain is if it were in addition to current for purchase practices. As others have said, this would give BB a run for their money. But the deterioration window would have to be at least a week. Too many pissed off people if they buy it and it's only good for 2 days, and then when they finally get around to watching it, it doesn't work.

Still, all in all, it starting down a road I think it best to be avoided.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I thought the process started when the laser first hit the surface? i.e., when you first started using the disc!

dan fritzen

Second Unit
You mean BlockBuster might have a competetitor, That would be awful!

As far as this is concerned, you know darn right they will not onyl do this format, studios are always about the lowest common denominator and not selling a DVD version would mean a loss of profits so they will not do it.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
00 said:
Also, to speak to RobLutter's post that "Someone will probably invent some sort of spray (some chemical) that will stop the deterioration process and make a permanent DVD.", I agree that it will probably happen. But SpectraDisc has apparently thought of that, too. They have a press release called "SpectraDisc Corporation, a Spectra Science subsidiary, demonstrates key technology for tamper proofing of limited-play DVDs". :shrug:
I'm certain that this is doomed to failure. It's been two years and noone cares. The only reason this is news again is apparently because the government got around to approving their patent for the technology. Well, that doesn't mean they'll ever make a dime off of it! :laugh:

AaronMK

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Aaron Karp
Aaron, why would some scenes become unwatchable before others based on the idea that the deterioration kickoff is contact with the air vs. contact with a laser?
Because air reacts with the entire layer evenly. A laser focuses on a very small part of the disc. I would imagine this focus would cause very uneven deterioration if some sections were read more than others (like viewing a favorite scene a few times).

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
So these things come in vacuum-sealed packs, then?

(One tiny hole in the package would render the entire disc "defective"!)

AaronMK

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Aaron Karp
I have wondered about this too.

I would hope there would be some sort of tampor indicator, kind of like the button on the cap of many bottled foods that will pop up if the seal has been broken.

Maybe the discs change color as they deteriorate, and part of the package is transparant, allowing you to verify before purchasing the state of the discs.

All speculation of course.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Spectra Science won't say exactly how its technology works, just that the chemical reaction is similar to how litmus paper works. [rant]Once the disc is put in the player and is hit by the DVD laser, it starts a process that eventually turns the disc blue[/rant], and blocks the DVD player's ability to read the disc.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
This is at least 4 or 5 years old already. In fact, the technique was discussed at the same time as DiVX before it actually was marketed (DiVX)!.
It will be fought by the rental business. Yes it's a shame they try it again.
I myself suddenly got a bright idea too! I just invented the Bleaching-Book. Once you open it, the ink will start to fade. Time to read it just once! No more libraries, no late-returning fees. Hey... what's the difference? And why didn't they bring this out before, the technology was there, for years!
Cees

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Hey, I just invented something even smarter! The Crumbling-Car! Once you open the door for the second time... no late returning fee... Does this all sound familiar, you say?
There simply must be a reason why no one thought this up before! :confused:
Cees

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks