What's new

Limited Play DVD's - Son of DivX? Please, God, No!!! (1 Viewer)

Scott Barnhart

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
It seems as if a couple of companies are on the road to creating DVD's that deteriorate after a few days and sell for about the price of a rental, bringing back bad memories of DivX. Read all about it on Slashdot

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
I DON'T F****ING BELIEVE IT. DIVX MUST HAVE 6TH DAY CAPABILITIES, DAMN THEM FOR EVEN THINKING ABOUT IT :angry: :angry: :angry:

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Why won't these idiots in their big corporate suites understand that the people don't want crap like this?

Bad for the environment

DVDs are so damn cheap that we don't need crap like this

Been done with disposable VHS. Is that still around? No.

Why can't they put their efforts into something more practical?

Mike

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Well, I hope my post wasn't to offensive, I just went ballistic, and then realize we like to keep it a family forum. But the the whole thing is just awful:angry:

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Vote with your dollars (or lack thereof). That's what killed Divx (spit!) and that's what will kill this.

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
This concept was bandied about over a year ago when a company mentioned it had developed such a DVD. Won't happen because the consumer is more knowledgeable now. This is just another form of rental. Land fill here we come!

CRyan

Screenwriter
Yeah, I do not see this as such a bad thing really. At least not for DVD. For the environment, however, it sucks. I mean we really do not need a disposable format.

As far as I understood when I first read about it many months ago, it would be completely compatible with current DVD players. So no real problem there.

Like Peter said, it is just another rental model. Not such a bad thing to give the major rental chains a run for there money. However, like I said, I hope it does not succeed simply due to the disposable factor.

C. Ryan

bill lopez

Second Unit
I remember everyone all glad when Divix went bust, but they sure seem to have left a Mummy's Curse of some kind.:frowning:

RicP

Screenwriter
This is nothing to get worked up over...really.
They can't use a different form of copy protection or the discs will not play in current players, therefore all this will do is actually increase the amount of piracy with people buying $3 discs, DeCSSing them and burning a new copy.
It may take awhile, but the studios will notice that, and it will die rather quickly.
Nothing to get riled up over.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
RicP-

That is just what I was thinking:

Bootleggers will LOVE this!

Buy one DVD for $3.00, rip it, and

bootleg away!

STUDIOS, DO NOT BUY INTO DISPOSABLE DVD!

Mark

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Someone will probably invent some sort of spray (some chemical) that will stop the deterioration process and make a permanent DVD. And yes, DVD Pirates would EAT THIS UP if it ever came out (which I don't see... the studios aren't THAT dumb :)

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
AGAIN?

I thought this self-destructing disc idea (which first popped up last year or the year before) had died a quiet, natural death.

Then there's the "add watermarks to DVDs, and force still more copy protection junk into DVD players and recorders" story that popped up on CNET the other day.

Wasn't watermarked video one of the "features" of DIVX?

Nick_Scott

Second Unit
__________________________________________________ __

__________________________________________________ __

Yes, even though it used TRIPLE-DES for encryption instead of the lame DeCSS. Triple-DES is currently unbreakable, but still threw in watermarks, macrovision, region coding, etc,etc....

And they wonder why it failed??

-Nick

Robert Dunnill

Second Unit
It was quite powerful, and would have made things tough for any would-be pirates. FYI Divx did a test of their watermarking system involving a 6th-generation analog copy of one of their titles, in which they were able to extract info containing the disc serial number, player ID, and date/time the disc was played.

RD

AaronMK

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Aaron Karp
What was bad about Divx (besides P&S) was the Big Brother factor. This doesn't have that.

It seems pretty convenient to me. I get the disc while near the place anyway, start the rental period anytime after that, and don't have to worry about returning it or late fees.

But, like others have said, it seems very environmental unfriendly. It would also suck if the disc became unreadable while you were watching.

all this will do is actually increase the amount of piracy with people buying $3 discs, DeCSSing them and burning a new copy.
What stops people from doing this with current rentals?

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
What was bad about Divx (besides P&S) was the Big Brother factor. This doesn't have that.
What was worse about divx was the threat of exclusivity, that studios would release a film on divx only and you would never be able to own it, you could only rent it, and even with their divx-gold (supposedly unlimited play for an extra charge) a studio could lock you out by putting a film on moratorium.

These new systems (which I think will fail), do share the threat of exclusivity.

Blu

Screenwriter
I really don't see the big deal either. So what if the studios want to compete in the rental arena more, that is what this is for. Who is against someone making money here?

Sheesh, come on people. This isn't DIVX. As for the landfill argument, someone better tell AOL about that cause I still get aol coasters all the time in the mail.

I can see that this would be really convienant for people who love to rent all the time.

Jesse Leonard

Second Unit
The BIG DEAL will come once studios begin using this technology to introduce the "DVD rental period". They would release new films exclusively onto this format for the period of the rental-only window. There would be no "normal" DVD released along with these half-breed DVD’s. This would bring it right back to the Divx model in that titles would not be available for unlimited viewing. You would have to lay out another $4.00 for each 48 hour viewing window.

This would be the ultimate method to begin forcing Blockbuster out of the rental monopoly. These discs could be sold at any store and the studios would not have to worry about renting the movies out and dealing with returns. They would no longer need Blockbuster to deal with this end of the business.

Whether this is where the studios are heading is another question. I hope they aren't that foolish.

Blu

Screenwriter
That is a HUGE assumption that has no basis in fact not to mention the studios DO know Divx failed miserably. I see no threat to our favorite format.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks