What's new

"Limited Edition" Bad Taste comments (1 Viewer)

Ian_H

Supporting Actor
Anyone else besides me a bit underwhelmed by the limited edition of Bad Taste?

First off the packaging.

Front: While it is one of the best lenticular effects I have seen, you can still see the extra finger most of the time. Speaking of the finger what is with the goofy addition of the gold ring? Is it supposed to be a funny riff on Lord of the Rings?

Back: The gatefold has a sticker that shows the feaures (16x9 etc.) that covers part of the artwork (the generic sweetener, salt, pepper). It was easily removed but the info should have been incorporated into the printed artwork. The numbering is also a sticker that on my copy is crooked and a little smeared. The critic quotes are the same ones used on the old Magnum release. Kind of funny to see Tim Lucas' GOREZONE quotes. How long ago did that magazine fold? Tony Timpone's quote has been changed to reflect DVD. The original quote is "Will do for video what 'Rocky Horror' did for midnight shows" Is Timpone even at Fangoria anymore?

Inside: The inside is pretty cool. A nice collage of "The Boys" with some nice quotes ("What are you DOODYHOOERS doin' on my planet") and lines form the film. The DVDs are held in place with a new fangled hub that locks the DVD in place. While it seems like a good idea, with the regular "pin" type hubs if a couple of them break the DVD would still be held. These hubs seem that if they were to break it wouldn't hold the discs.

The Booklet: Reprinted interviews with the actors (sans P.J.) from a Bad Taste website with some photos that are used on the gatefold art.

The DVDs:

Disc 1: The menu is very bland. The chapter selection is all text. The bio is alright, the trailer is alright. The feature of course looks great. The transfer seems top notch.

Disc 2: The 25 minute Good Taste Made Bad Taste is an enjoyable piece. Lots of info to be had. Biggest complaint is that it is way to short.

All in all I am not sorry I bought it or anything but for a $40 (msrp) set I was hoping for a bit more bang. It could have easily been just a 1 disc set seeing at how short the documentary is.

--Ian

Julie K

Screenwriter
Yes, the extras on the disc are extremely underwhelming. I'm not at all unhappy that I got the disc (in fact, I got two) but it's the quality of the picture and sound that's making me happy. I really hope AB revisits this one sometime and makes a real special edition.
And I have some real worries about the long-term durability of this hub. :frowning:

Dan Brodin

Stunt Coordinator
I was a bit dissapointed in this release. Granted I bought the film sight unseen, the flick itself was amusing, but my expectation were set rather high with all the reviews I had read on it. I suppose it may have meant more to me if I had grown up with the film.

About the package itself, I really like the packaging Anchor Bay put together for this title. Although as stated earlier, the new hub design is kinda interesting, but it seems if the hub breaks you gotta find a new home for the disc.

The transfer on the film was nothing short of amazing, I was truly impressed how well it looked considering how low budget the film was and the fact that it was shot on 16mm. The audio was pretty good for the most part with what AB had to work with. I do feel that DTS ES 6.1 was overkill for this particular title IMO. Stereo would have done just fine.

I was glad to see the trailer and the bio on disk one, the lack of extras here didn't bother me considering more space was left to concentrate on audio/video quality. The menus were just way too bland for me. Also I hate disks that don't give ya a still frame in the scene selections. Disk 2 almost boggles my mind. A whole DVD for a 30 minute documentary?! Hmm. Regardless, the documentary was entertaining albeit rather short. I am almost certain this could have fit on disk 1 without sacrificing quality. Would have been nice to see this disk filled with a bit more meat.

Looking back I wish I had purchased the movie only edition for $12 instead of the limited edition for $27. People that have not seen the flick yet take my advice and go with the standard release. Leave the LE to the die hard fans, unless you can get it for a really good price.

-Dan

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
I am kind of erked by the fact that the 30 minute documentary 'Good Taste makes Bad Taste' could have EASILY fit onto the first disc. Anchor bay is charging $20 more for a disc that culd have easily been integrated into the first disc of the set... there fore I am going to get the regular edition, in hopes that eventually it will e re-released as a really Special Edition (and following AB's release tactics, it will probably happen, maybe to play off the release of the Lord of the Rings on DVD)

Joshua E

Grip
I love the packaging for the Bad Taste LE. I think it's very cool and clever and deserves some praise. The transfer also beats the s*** out of my old VHS copy and the Canadian DVD. At long last the blood is really red and not orange looking. (This is important considering that blood is almost a supporting player in the film). And finally, while I do agree that the documentary could have easily fit on one DVD, this little snafu is easily forgivable, since not one but BOTH discs play just fine and are in no need of a dreaded "version 2.0" fix. Thank you Anchor Bay. All is forgiven.

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
Ah well, with my employee discount at Hastings I will be picking up the non-LE version for around $11.50. I love Anchor Bay, but I think their greed is beginning to get the better of them now that they've had a tate of success. A 30 minute documentary constitutes the need for a second disc? Anchor Bay really needs to get back to being customer-oriented, not profit oriented.

Ian_H

Supporting Actor
this little snafu is easily forgivable, since not one but BOTH discs play just fine and are in no need of a dreaded "version 2.0" fix.
We will see about that. There have been a couple of Anchor Bay time delay screw ups. I posted here a couple of months ago about my Kentucky Fried Movie DVD which I watched the day it was released, not working a few months later. Other people checked thiers and sure enough they didn't work either. I have a quite a few AB discs and I fear that there may be some that won't work right now.

--Ian

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks