What's new

Limitations of Outlaw 950 (1 Viewer)

jim mansfield

Auditioning
What are the limitations of a 950? I understand it offers component video connection where the 1050 only offers S-video. Are there any limitations with regard to the different formats it will play (Dolby etc.)? I know it's only a preamp/processor.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Because it's "only" a preamp/processor :), you have to supply from 5 to 7 channels of amplification. But it's that *separation* of the processing and the amps that a lot of us feel give separates their edge over receivers.

It handles all of the current formats: DD/DD EX/DTS/DTS-ES (matrix & discrete), DPL II, etc. It also has CES modes to expand 2.0 through 5.1 sources to a 6.1 or 7.1 channel speaker system. Very flexible pre/pro. Review of the similar Sherbourn pre/pro in the newly out Sound & Vision.

AustinKW

Stunt Coordinator
Kevin,

Bit of an issue with DTS-ES or haven't you heard? In 7.1 setups, Outlaw apparently doesn't output any LFE signal. This issue is currently being discussed on the Outlaw board and the Outlaws have committed to "looking into it".

Austin

NickSP

Supporting Actor
If you consider lack of "Future Upgradibilty" or "Software Enhancements" via RS232 port a limitation then the Outlaw is limited in a major way.
If Outlaw does find a software related issue with regards to DTS-ES then you'd have to send the unit back to Outlaw for the "fix" unlike the DA5ES DTS-ES problem which was fixed by a flash upgrade directly.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Outlaw will send the chip itself which is socketed,and the user can swap it out.No need to send it in!

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Now If Outlaw would look into the phase issue on the sub output using the 6ch input and analog crossover,then it would be "perfect"

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Darryl- Rotel has known about the double bass problem on the 1066 since ... last Aug. I doubt they are going to fix it. Too bad really, because I was ready to purchase back then, found out about that problem, and waited until Oct for the 950. Me so happy. :) But disappointed with Rotel.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
The only significant limitation of the Outlaw 950 is the lack of easy upgradability through the use of an RS232 port. The Outlaw is upgradable through EPROM replacement chips, and Outlaw is sending a batch out to repair a recently discovered problem with DTS-ES in a few weeks.

I've had my 950 since December, and I find it to be a fine unit. I'd recommend it if you're looking for a pre-pro that offers very good bang-for-the-buck. It's not the "holy grail" of home theater, but it's a good solid piece.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
The only issue I have with the 950 is that the second zone volume cannot be controlled without accessing the menu-- meaning that turning up/down the second zone is not really possible when seating in the second zone area.

-Vince

Claude M

Stunt Coordinator
sorry for the highjack, but how is the second zone connected? a second set of speakers are used and power amps?

Ted Kim

Stunt Coordinator
I'd say the biggest limitation on a day to day level is the lack of ability to set the subwoofer levels at different levels for the various inputs and for the different processing modes (DD, DTS, DPL II, stereo, etc). For Prologic II, for example, the bass from the subwooofer seems to be at a significantly higher level than for stereo. I find I'm constantly going to the menu to adjust the sub volume. I don't use a separate crossover, so the 950 is my volume control for my sub.

I really wish the Outlaw had this feature, then it truly would be set it and forget it. There are a lot of features the Outlaw doesn't have, like HDCD, upsampling, those previously listed, but those don't hit you like the day to day operational quirks.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Ted- I hear you, but here's my question/comment.

I have a properly calibrated system, with Avia. (That part goes back 5 or 6 years, including VE, to include the Sony TA-E9000ES pre/pro and Yamaha RX-V793 receiver-as-a-pre/pro I had prior to the 950.)

Personally, I've never felt the need to tweak the sub level on any of those units, with any source. Music (and I listen to 80% 2 channel stereo), DD, DTS, SACD, DVD-A, etc.

I can certainly recogize the desire for some, but I've never had it. Plus, if you really want to do that, it's not that hard to just go into the 950's menu structure and change the global call.

Bottom line? It *is* $899. :)

Russell _T

Supporting Actor
Changing the subwoofer setting was my biggest nit until I actually got the unit. It takes under 3 seconds to make any adjustment, and is no longer an issue, like many things once you get used to them.

Ted Kim

Stunt Coordinator
Kevin,
I'm not the only with this kind of bias, as Steve Guttenberg pretty much echoed the same sentiment in his review of the Atlantic Tech pre-pro (Outlaw 950 clone for the un-initiated). I agree its not too difficult to adjust the subwoofer level for the different modes, it's something I've become used to and its not a big deal in absolute terms. It's just that's what I consider the biggest operational quirk for **me**. Things which some other people have complained about, like the remote, I really like.

Also, it's probably my listening tastes, but I like my subwoofer bass to be subtle when in stereo and it just seems to be more pronounced in the other modes, a bit overbearing if you will, relative to the levels I have set for stereo. Part of my riding the subwoofer volume is out of consideration for my neighbors, so I'm not doing it strictly for performance issues :frowning:

marc seals

Agent
Well I kind of agree about the bass being too strong in stereo on the 950 though it really only takes about 3-5 seconds to "trim" the sub down.

I got my 950 in the second batch and other than the bass thing I have'nt had ANY of the problems that others have had.

The real kicker for me was that I got my 950 for free!!:D

With that said I am going to mosey down to my HT and check out the DTS-ES thing....................

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks