Lilya 4-Ever and Lukas Moodysson on dvd

Discussion in 'DVD' started by JohnAP, Mar 9, 2004.

1. JohnAP

JohnAP Second Unit

I have a couple questions if there's anyone out there with answers.

First, Lukas Moodysson's first film was given a Region 1 release under the new title "Show Me Love," but I have not been able to find his second film, "Together." Am I correct in assuming that it has never been released for Region 1?

Second, I know Moodysson's last film, "Lilya 4-Ever," was given a theatrical release in America this year, but I was never able to find a theater showing it. Has a dvd release date been announced?

2. Marc Colella

Marc Colella Cinematographer

3. Roger_R

Roger_R Second Unit

Hehe, they called it "Show Me Love"? Horrible title, but I guess the original one, "Fucking Åmål", is a bit too much for sensitive Americans...

I haven't seen Lilja-4-Ever either in region 1, but I know it's been released in region 2 (well, at least in Scandinavia).

4. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Cinematographer

Be careful with his second film, TOGETHER. There is another film of the same name that just got a DVD release. The one linked above is the correct one.

As for LILYA, no R1 release yet. It was released theatrically by Newmarket (who is now making millions from THE PASSION OF THE CHRIST). They don't have a video arm yet and haven't licensed this one out. Fox is doing THE PASSION DVD and other studios have released the others. Who knows what will happen with LILYA.

The UK R2 release is very good, with an hour long interview with Moodysson on it. The film is probably my least favorite of the three but still worth seeing.

He is one of the best new directors out there.

5. Ali B

Ali B Second Unit

The R2 UK discs of Together and Lilya are as good as you're ever going to get, as is the Strand Releasing R1 of Show Me Love (I saw it as part of a retrospective recently and all the grain, image degredation etc are there on the print too).

I personally think Lilya is fantastic - much better than Together, which was fantastic. Show Me Love is still my favourite though...

Moodysson fans might want to check out his excellent documentary on the Gothenberg riots called "Terrorister - en film om dom dömda". It's available in Sweden I think. Don't listen to what every dvd site says about the subtitles - it *does* have English subs.

ali

6. JohnAP

JohnAP Second Unit

Thanks for the help. Here's hoping Lilya makes it to Region 1 sooner rather than later.