What's new

Lilli (MGM 1953) (1 Viewer)

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by stevenHa
Anyone know why this isn't on DVD and perhaps when it will be ?
More than likely it will show up in the Warner Archive Collection. I guess that it needs some work or it would have already been released.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I'm not usually a member of the spelling police, but as this is one of my favorite films, I have to point out that it's spelled Lili.

The VHS tape that I have plus the version I recorded onto a DVD-R off TCM all contain some weird kind of blue print deterioration that comes and goes in the center of the screen. I wonder if there isn't some kind of restoration on-going with this title.

It's such an enchanting film that the fact it's not readily available is a real crime.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
LILI (1953) is a wonderful film, and I am no fan of Mel Ferrer (though Leslie Caron is cute). A short film that does not wear out its welcome. Why this was overlooked during the Warner Bros. heydey of DVD musical releases has always stumped me.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
MattH. said:
I'm not usually a member of the spelling police, but as this is one of my favorite films, I have to point out that it's spelled Lili.

The VHS tape that I have plus the version I recorded onto a DVD-R off TCM all contain some weird kind of blue print deterioration that comes and goes in the center of the screen. I wonder if there isn't some kind of restoration on-going with this title.

It's such an enchanting film that the fact it's not readily available is a real crime.
Was visiting thread to post basically the same thing.
And I'd love to know they are simply restoring Lili. Sitting on such a wonderful film would be so sad. I was hoping the film wasn't like Alice's Adventures in Wonderland from 1972, and the only ones who seemed to care about it were PD distributors.
I have a VHS I recorded off TCM and a DVD I made from the TCM recording. Neither is worthy.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
What's a thread like this without piccies?
From Lili:
3e0b2732_MVRtQoWYaeojapw7lKtuExGPo1_400.jpg

Just cause she's so cute:
d78dc27f_2724.gif

Just cause she's drop dead gorgeous:
1953490e_lesliecaron.jpg

157cb3f1_Lili.jpg

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
It's out! Warner Archive. I never got a notice from Amazon even though I was signed up. Someone who tried to notify everybody got their posts deleted and a hot warning from amazon. :rolleyes: thanks for keeping us safe from ordering this magic film.
Just ordered mine, along with the Mill Creek multi-movie cheap set featuring Hanky Panky and there's a Girl in my Soup to round it out for free shipping.
Woo hoo!
/fyi

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Here's a link to a sample of the remastered version on the Warner Archive. Not sure how helpful this is.
http://www.wbshop.com/product/lili+1000231920.do?sortby=ourPicks&from=Search
Click on the trailers & video tab to see a clip of the song Hi Lili

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
They have that clip on youtube as well. The film looks really good.
I noticed wbshop has free shipping on that. But you have to spend $50. Amazon $25.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
amazon has lowered the price to $17.59. $2 less than what I paid. With my other item that would be 6 cents shy of free shipping. lol I'll just leave it as is. grrrr...
Review of the DVD from amazon user:
"It is cause for celebration that M-G-M's enchanting masterpiece LILI is finally on DVD. This unforgettable and very moving film remains unique in its simplicity and charm, and is a testament to the extraordinary talents who made it so many years ago. The new DVD is a quantum leap improved from how the film has looked in recent TV airings. Colors are bold, image is sharp, and there are no longer the distracting blotches of stains that would pop up on the actors' faces that were so distracting. Also, a big thumbs up to the lovely packaging which uses the original poster on the cover, always a welcome addition to the presentation of classic films on DVD."

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
Nice to hear it's been restored. Leslie Caron's dress towards the end of the film looked mildly radioactive from the weird color issues going on in previous video releases. Paid a lot for the Laserdisc several years ago, after getting burned on a factory sealed VHS that had the wrong movie on the tape!
Anyone else recall seeing it on KTLA back in the 80's? The fellow who hosted the weekend movie had a reunion of certain members of the cast, courtesy of the collector who apparently bought them at the MGM auction.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
SilverWook said:
Nice to hear it's been restored. Leslie Caron's dress towards the end of the film looked mildly radioactive from the weird color issues going on in previous video releases. Paid a lot for the Laserdisc several years ago, after getting burned on a factory sealed VHS that had the wrong movie on the tape!
Anyone else recall seeing it on KTLA back in the 80's? The fellow who hosted the weekend movie had a reunion of certain members of the cast, courtesy of the collector who apparently bought them at the MGM auction.
Yes, I recorded that screening of Tom Hatten's Family Matinee one Sunday morning in the early 1980s. I saw that collector a few years ago when Leslie Caron appeared at a local LA screening of Lili. I believe a clip of Mr. Hatten's interview was on YouTube at one point.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
@ Silver, yes! I think I remember that about her dress. :eek: I recorded a copy off TCM, watched it once, and made my own DVD, which I've never watched... just waiting year after year for it to appear officially. I guess I'll hold on to the DVD I made since I think it has hosting segments from Robert Osborne. I always liked those.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks