What's new

Likes changed to "reactions"-- why? (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I was testing what would happen if I turned it off. Nothing to it really.

I will leave it on for now @Robert Crawford and if it becomes a problem, it can easily go away.
We need a dis-like combined with a sarcastic emoji so you’ll know I didn’t really mean what I wrote.;)

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
My only concern is that since personal attacks are prohibited, some of these negative reaction icons may be a loophole to circumvent that rule.
These reactions do not have any impact on someone's reaction score, so there is no true "impact" on anyone, other than a psychological one. While we all strive to be respectful in our discourse on HTF, disliking a particularly inane or poorly written post is an acceptable reaction and will hopefully not have a negative impact on the community as a whole. Who knows, it might even encourage more thoughtful posting from certain folks.

The ownership is in agreement that this is a safe experiment, but should we start to see the feature abused, we will take action.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
These reactions do not have any impact on someone's reaction score, so there is no true "impact" on anyone, other than a psychological one. While we all strive to be respectful in our discourse on HTF, disliking a particularly inane or poorly written post is an acceptable reaction and will hopefully not have a negative impact on the community as a whole. Who knows, it might even encourage more thoughtful posting from certain folks.

The ownership is in agreement that this is a safe experiment, but should we start to see the feature abused, we will take action.
Was that always the case as I swore that a "dislike" did negatively impacted the reaction score? If it doesn't impact the reaction score then that lessens my concerns about its usage. However, it could be abused by some posters involved in a personal beef with another HTF member as discussions have a tendency to get personal rather quickly for a number of reasons.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Here is another vote for getting rid of the dislike button.

I guess there is a reason that this is the only forum I am a member of that has a dislike option, it just isn't a good idea.

We have at least one member who has already posted more dislikes than he has posts himself. Frankly I do not see how this adds something good to the forum.

It also leads to a situation where one could just go around and sprinkle dislikes into the discussion without any other written reaction to the posts that get a dislike. Before a poster would have to make the effort to write what was not liked now people get a negative / dislike just like that and without even knowing for what. For example in the A Few Words thread about To Catch a Thief somebody got a dislike for quoting a review from another site - really?

So my opinion is that the dislikes should go, they are not helpful and drag things into the negative without adding to the discussion.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
We need a dis-like combined with a sarcastic emoji so you’ll know I didn’t really mean what I wrote.;)

Something I posted earlier tonight over at br.com is that we need a "Well, that sucks" button, but only in the sense of "I'm disappointed with that news", not "I don't like the movie you just announced as getting released".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks