What's new

Likes changed to "reactions"-- why? (1 Viewer)

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Something I'd like to know about the new format here-- why were likes turned into "reactions"?

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
It's still displaying as "Like" for me (As it also was yesterday!), although the Facebook style emojis are now there, which is fine by me.

CHEERS! :)
He's talking about the text you see on the "Bell" notification. It went from something like "XXX liked your post in yyy" to "XXX reacted to your post in yyy with a like".

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
He's talking about the text you see on the "Bell" notification. It went from something like "XXX liked your post in yyy" to "XXX reacted to your post in yyy with a like".
Thanks, Howie. I was unaware of that as neither Ben or anyone else mentioned it was the Bell notifications specifically that changed from likes to reactions. That said, I don't believe I noticed that change either, but I may have simply been oblivious.

CHEERS! :)

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Because we can do more than just "like" a post.

Hover over the like button and see options for Like, Love, Haha, Wow, Sad, and Angry.
Turns out I can add custom reactions. Perhaps some of these should be more movie related, perhaps an Oscar reaction for insightful posts for example? Any thoughts?

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I was unaware of that as neither Ben or anyone else mentioned it was the Bell notifications specifically that changed from likes to reactions.

You are absolutely right-- I should have been (and could have been) far clearer in the subject line here.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Turns out I can add custom reactions. Perhaps some of these should be more movie related, perhaps an Oscar reaction for insightful posts for example? Any thoughts?
Yeah, I would like that. I also that we can use a laugh emoji to react to a post. Does a reaction count as a like in the total of likes for a user?

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Yeah, I would like that. I also that we can use a laugh emoji to react to a post. Does a reaction count as a like in the total of likes for a user?

Great question-- we'll have to cross that bridge when we get there; there's a lot of things left to find out in this new software/interface.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Great question-- we'll have to cross that bridge when we get there; there's a lot of things left to find out in this new software/interface.
Yes, all positive reactions have the same value as a like. Now we can also add negative reactions, such as dislike but haven't turned that on.

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin

Over the years, I’ve seen many posters (myself included) say they wish there was a ‘Love’ button, as ‘Like’ was inadequate to express their feelings about a particular post. It seems our wish has been granted.

You asked about ideas for custom options, which got me thinking about the different reasons why I hit the ‘Like’ button, as it’s not always because I actually like the content of the post. Here are some:

Agreed - I may not like, and might even actively dislike, what has been posted, but I agree with the points made.

Thanks - Again, I don’t so much like the content of the post, but appreciate the effort that’s been made by the poster in obtaining/presenting information, and/or the way they’ve articulated their point.

Appreciated or Acknowledged - This is for those exceptionally rare occasions where a fellow member says nice things about a post of mine. Clicking ‘Like’ to their praise seems crass and self-congratulatory, yet I might wish to quickly let them know that I’ve registered and appreciated their kindness.

Last edited:

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Thanks and Appreciate feel a bit redundant, and I actually like appreciate better overall. Let's see how this goes.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks