What's new

Like a broken record - Paramount- 2 Musicals Please (1 Viewer)

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
It's beginning to sound like a broken record, but once again for myself and on behalf of others on this Forum, I am pleading for some word on 2 very special Musicals from Paramount.

"LI'L ABNER"
"HALF A SIXPENCE"

Is there any indication that these titles may eventually surface in the near or not so near future?

Greg_M

Screenwriter
Please consider these titles, they're not big sellers, but if Paramount doesn't license out their films we may never see many of them again.

Also looking for "Oh! What a Lovely War (1969) All-star British cast (At least this may sell overseas.)

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Thankyou for your swift if somewhat disappointing reply Martin.

At least we now know where we stand in regards to these titles.
Let's hope that they are given some reasonable consideration at a later date.

On the other hand, it's nice to see UNIVERSAL now releasing a large number of older classic Paramount titles into the market place as double features.
Had Universal not got the rights to these classics it's now pretty obvious that we may never have seen them at all.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Doug,
Your last comment was a cheap shot and uncalled for in my opinion, especially considering Universal's dvd output of older films over the last couple of years in comparison to Paramount's output and participation on this forum.

Crawdaddy

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Fair enough Robert, it was only meant to be a passing shot to express my disappointment and not a cheap shot, as it is completely true that Universal have started to release a growing number of older Paramount Musicals(and 2 for the price of one) that I'm almost certain would never have been released had they still been in the hands of Paramount.

Paramount have thus far neglected the older Musicals that are still in their possesion.
With the exception of "White Christmas""Funny Face""Paint your Wagon""The Court Jester",the newer"Grease"and some Elvis titles, where are,
"Five Pennies"
"Let's Dance"
"Fancy Pants"
"Here comes the Groom"
"Somebody Loves Me"
"The Stars are Singing"
"Here comes the Girls"
"The Country Girl"
"Living it up"
"Red Garters"
"The Girl Rush"
"Artists and Models"
"The Seven little Foys"
"Anything Goes"
"Just for You"
"The Vagabond King"
"Loving You"
"Beau James"
"The Joker is Wild"
"St Louis Blues"
"Oh! What a lovely War"
"The Little Prince"
and as has already been answered,
"Li'l Abner" and "Half a Sixpence"

I believe that Paramount are working on
"Darling Lil" and "On a Clear Day" and if that is true, then it's terrific news.

I am well aware of and fully appreciate Martin Blythe's excellent involvement in this Forum and also Peter'invaluable input on behalf of FOX.
(if only the other Studios could be as co-operative)

I did say thank you to Martin and if I added disappointed after it, it was in reference to the 2 wonderful titles that many have requested on this Forum.

Robert, if you think I offended, then I apologise.

The really great thing that Paramount are doing at the moment is their growing list of Classic Westerns.
I congratulate them for that.

Benn

Stunt Coordinator
Back on the topic of musicals from Paramount, I'm disappointed that they didn't bring out the musical version of SCROOGE (A Christmas Carol), starring Albert Finney (1970, originally CBS/Fox released) this Yule tide.
It would be a great gift to me for next Christmas (2003). (Please, Santa. I'll try really hard to be good.)

BarryR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BARRY RIVADUE
I will always vote for LIL ABNER as a wished for DVD from Paramount!

TedD

Supporting Actor
Lil Abner is the ONLY VHS title remaining in my collection. (and it looks terrible)

Ted

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
The really great thing that Paramount are doing at the moment is their growing list of Classic Westerns.
Second that! It's very unfortunate that the western genre got so much less attention from the public for at least a decade now. It has been a great movie-genre once, which led to a diverse and dramatic oevre that contains many many gems. Great decision of Paramount to start bringing the ones they own to DVD. And, to be fair, they're doing a lot more.
Thanks Paramount!
With the enormous success of DVD, we want so much that the studios cannot do it all at once. But, on a lighter note, that's only good: something still to wish for, and one day (perhaps in 5-8 years) new media, HDVD maybe, will arrive and we will have even more to wish for and buy.
:)
Cees

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks