Lik-Sang XBox VGA Box = No Dolby Digital?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Daniel Swartz, Jun 7, 2002.

1. Daniel Swartz

Daniel Swartz Second Unit

I'm trying to find a way to convert the XBox's progressive signal (w/ HD pack) into a VGA signal to pass-through my video scaler. The Lik-Sang VGA box seems to do the trick but doesn't an optical output for Dolby Digital. Is there a way to have both? Thanks!

2. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

couldn't you just get an RGB to VGA cable for your HD Pack, and use the optical out from the HD Pack? Won't that work? (I am not really familiar with RGB conversions, so I might be wrong [​IMG] )

3. Bill Slack

Bill Slack Supporting Actor

You'll need to use a transcoder which will run you $100-$200.

4. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Yea the Redant VGA box isn't the way to go, it's not pure VGA but line-doubled to get a 31.5 Hz signal to the display. Even worse you can't get an optical cable in the mix with that setup. You'd get better results and digital audio using the HD-pack and a transcoder as stated above.

5. Scott "E"

Scott "E" Second Unit

6. Daniel Swartz

Thanks Scotts!

Scott E: This seems perfect since it supports both true progressive (e.g., aspect ratio control) and Dolby Digital. Have you had any experience with this company?

7. Scott "E"

Scott "E" Second Unit

Daniel,

I myself don't have any prior experience with them, however a friend purchased one of the adapters and is very happy with it, works as advertised.

Scott

8. Daniel Swartz

Scott: I am correct in that it supports Dolby Digital, right? I see the Toslink connector but I don't see DD mentioned anywhere on the site which is a bit odd. Thanks again!

9. Scott "E"

Scott "E" Second Unit

Daniel,

My friend uses the analog outputs on the adapter, however the option to enable Dolby Digital and DTS is available. As far as I know it's pretty much the same thing as the HD pack. I'll see if I can get him to bring the adapter over so I can verify it for you.

Scott

10. Daniel Swartz

Thanks!

11. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

Scott, could you ask your friend what he paid + shipping to the US in US$? I am interested in purchasing the VGA adapter (don't wanna bring a TV to college). [​IMG]

12. Scott "E"

Scott "E" Second Unit

Daniel,

I have confirmed that it does in fact support Dolby Digital.

Rob,

He doesn't remember the exact amount, but he does remember it being a little over $100. He got it in less than a week, but I do believe he paid extra for the shipping. I can give you an exact amount soon though, I'm gonna go ahead and order 1 myself.

Scott

13. Daniel Swartz

This looks good. I just wonder if the bump in quality is worth $100 over S-Video through a video scaler. I'm thinking no probably. Heck, that's more than half of another XBox!

14. Scott "E"

Scott "E" Second Unit

I agree Daniel, it is a lot of money, but it is a decent jump in quality. I normally play games on a 55" HDTV widescreen, but when I hooked it up through the VGA adapter the picture had more detail then that of my HDTV. I have a ViewSonic PF790 19" monitor. I don't think I would give up my widescreen, but I do have 2 Xboxes, so I'll most likely purchase an adapter. I noticed on EB Games site they have a VGA adapter scheduled for release on 6/14 for the Xbox. It's $59.99, but it doesn't have a description, so I wonder if it's true 480p.

Scott

15. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Scott, that GameStop box sounds like a linedoubler at that price. I think the Redant PS2 box clocks in at the same price.

16. Scott "E"

Scott "E" Second Unit

You're absolutely right Brian. One feature I like about it though is the VGA pass through. Too bad the Digital-X one doesn't offer that.

17. ClintonM

ClintonM Auditioning

Scott, my 19" Viewsonic P95f monitor has two inputs, the normal HD-15 and the 5-BNC. Is the Digital-X VGA Box capable of interfacing with a monitor via a "HD-15 to BNC5 cable"? I already have the cable because I was going to use it for my PC but that type of cable doesn't support Plug-and-Play and caused problems as I am often changing drivers. If it would work I could leave the PC connected the way it is and hook the XBox to the monitor with BNC connectors and cycle between the two with the monitor's on-screen controls. Does this sound correct?