What's new

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Disney/Pixar’s Lightyear had lots of potential, but its generic story is a disappointing surprise for a Pixar film.

Lightyear (2022)

Released: 17 Jun 2022
Rated: PG
Runtime: 100 min

Director: Angus MacLane
Genre: Animation, Action, Adventure

Cast: Chris Evans, Keke Palmer, Peter Sohn
Writer(s): Angus MacLane, Matthew Aldrich, Jason Headley

Plot: While spending years attempting to return home, marooned Space Ranger Buzz Lightyear encounters an army of ruthless robots commanded by Zurg who are attempting to steal his fuel source.

IMDB rating: 5.8
MetaScore: 60

Disc Information

Studio: Disney
Distributed By: N/A
Video Resolution: 2160p HEVC w/HDR

Aspect Ratio: 2.39.1...

Continue reading...

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Todd Erwin said:
This may be the first Pixar release that ditches the second disc of extras.

Luca also lacked an extras disc when it was released last year. Turning Red, which was just released on disc in May, did have a dedicated extras disc. So there does not seem to be a discernible pattern.

The next Pixar release, Elemental, is currently scheduled for theatrical release in June 2024, so it will be about a year or so before it arrives on disc. I'll be very curious to see what kind of treatment it receives. Peter Sohn, who you noted in your review as the voice of Sox, is the director of that upcoming film.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
As usual, Disney has provided a rather ho-hum Dolby Atmos track for this home release.

I wish we could get an explanation from Disney about why they do this to their releases? I always have to crank up the levels far above any other disc from any other studio.

Then after watching I forget to turn it back down and blast myself out of the room the next time I fire up the HT with a different studio's movie.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
I wish we could get an explanation from Disney about why they do this to their releases? I always have to crank up the levels far above any other disc from any other studio.
I suspect it's because they "mix" their tracks to sound "fine" on laptops, tablets, and even phones. Heck they probably have a preset now. "Hey, Jimmy--you hungry? Just run the theatre mix through crap-a-lyzer, click 'save' and let's go to lunch!"

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Then after watching I forget to turn it back down and blast myself out of the room the next time I fire up the HT with a different studio's movie.

I always "reset" my receiver to the same level before I turn it off. That way I avoid accidental blasting!

I must admit I've never had the "Disney volume" issues, though. I do need to turn up their releases a little but not "far above".

Thought the "Lightyear" Atmos sounded fine!

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Luca also lacked an extras disc when it was released last year. Turning Red, which was just released on disc in May, did have a dedicated extras disc. So there does not seem to be a discernible pattern.

That "bonus disc" was a waste of resources.

About 30 minutes of content! There's no reason they couldn't have simply put that stuff on Disc One.

It's not a long movie so there was plenty of space for the bonus features to fit onto the one disc.

The extras on "Luca" have a longer running time!

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Turning Red, which was just released on disc in May, did have a dedicated extras disc.
Which was only 10Gb. The Blu-ray feature disc was just under 44Gb. If Pixar wasn't so anal about having to have separate DTS-HD MA 7.1, DTS-HD HR 5.1, and Dolby 2.0 tracks, and with a little more compression on the bonus features, it could have all fit on one Blu-ray disc.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Right. The Turning Red extras disc was really light. But the release gave off the appearance of being more loaded than it actually was because they put extras on an additional disc.

Of course, the other factor here is that Disney is actually producing bonus content for these movies which don't get put on the disc anymore.

Turning Red and Lightyear both have making-of documentaries on Disney+ which have been withheld from the physical release. The Lightyear Blu-ray disc even starts with a trailer for the documentary. But Disney is more interested in using those as streaming exclusive incentives to subscribe. Years ago, both of those would have been a centerpiece of the Blu-ray.

Toy Story 4 and Soul both had spinoff short films of the kind that used to adorn the Blu-rays as a highly promoted special feature which were rerouted to Disney+ instead.

So the Blu-ray releases are now being watered down in favor of promoting the streaming service. Therefore, less need for another disc than there used to be. They probably figure that the people who want to buy the physical release will buy it even if it is watered down, and they can make the streaming service look more attractive by putting exclusives there

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks