What's new

Lightyear (2022) (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I think they used to, at least on more occasions, hit a little better balance between the age groups, doing films that had story elements you had to be a little older to follow, but that could still be enjoyed by the very young, and to me it feels like they’ve stopped thinking about the three year olds in the crowd.

On the other hand, I concede that when I was a kid, I had younger brothers and my parents would bring all of us to see the Disney movies even if a lot of it flew over the youngest’s head, and since my kids are both the same age and young, I’m not in that same position of programming for the oldest ones and just bringing little kids because we’re going anyway.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I think they used to, at least on more occasions, hit a little better balance between the age groups, doing films that had story elements you had to be a little older to follow, but that could still be enjoyed by the very young, and to me it feels like they’ve stopped thinking about the three year olds in the crowd.
Entirely possible, though I also see it as a Catch-22:

If you aim for the older kids, then parents might feel they can't bring the entire family. If you make your movie accessible to the young ones, there's the chance of everyone else staying away because it's "for kiddies."

But then again, what to do I know? I'm an adult who still gets a kick out of riding the Peter Pan ride at Disney World.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
If you aim for the older kids, then parents might feel they can't bring the entire family. If you make your movie accessible to the young ones, there's the chance of everyone else staying away because it's "for kiddies."

I think the fear of that among studio executives is definitely a part of it. I don’t believe that’s actually true for audiences in practice if they’d try it.

But then again, what to do I know? I'm an adult who still gets a kick out of riding the Peter Pan ride at Disney World.

As do I - it’s one of my very favorites there!

My kids enjoyed Peter Pan (the Disney animated movie) and I felt that was better for age 3 than most of what they do now. Ditto that for The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh.

Heck, my kids love the “Apollo 11” documentary from a few years ago and will sit perfectly still for all 90 minutes of it. But with the exception of Pooh and Peter Pan, they haven’t had that attention span for and other movies I’ve tried.

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
I felt that Monsters Inc. showed me something I hadn’t quite seen before and balanced the imaginative visuals with storytelling that worked for me. I love the first half of Wall-E so much but I feel like they sort of chickened out by bringing humans in halfway through - but that first half was really special. The first ten minutes of Up showcase all of their best instincts as artists and storytellers; the rest of the film showcases their laziest instincts.
So agree.

And Pixar have always made movies about where their artists were at the moment. No kids; bugs, then small kids; toys, kids afraid of monsters in the closet, kids on a road trip (Cars) kids got an aquarium and then became teens. And that is not bad, of course you work with who and where you are, and mostly, they have done it mostly beautifully.
Just look at how they evolved/changed Knick Knack as they got older and more mature.

But eventually, your steam runs out, you become stale, you lose the edge you once had and find the small little company you started has become a corporate behemoth just like the others.

But every now and then, some new recruit sneaks something new under the radar, let's hope it will happen again.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
@Jason_V we’re probably still a few years away from taking the kids to Disney World but when we do, if you’re free that day, feel free to join us at Peter Pan! :)

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
@Jason_V we’re probably still a few years away from taking the kids to Disney World but when we do, if you’re free that day, feel free to join us at Peter Pan! :)

I am 100% down. Doing the parks with kiddos is really fun for me. :)
I'll be there, too (right after I disembark the Carousel of Progress)! :D
There's a Great, Big, Beautiful Tomorrow shining at the end of every day!

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
As discussed in other threads, Disney has recently been removing some content from Disney+ and Hulu.

The actual movie Lightyear remains available, but its companion making-of documentary "Beyond Infinity: Buzz and the Journey to Lightyear" has been removed. This is something that would have almost certainly been included on the Blu-ray release not too long ago. But instead it was sent to Disney+ as an exclusive to promote the streaming service. The Blu-ray disc of Lightyear literally opens with a trailer for the documentary which advertises its availability on Disney+. And now it is no longer available.

I understand that the removal of things from Disney+ is a cost-cutting measure, and I doubt very many people were watching the documentary intended to promote Lightyear a year after its unfortunately low grossing theatrical run. So I guess it makes sense to remove it. However, this is why it should have been included on the Blu-ray release itself in the first place. Then it wouldn't have just disappeared.

"Embrace the Panda" (the Disney+ exclusive making-of documentary for Turning Red) remains available, at least for the time being.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks