What's new

Lights Out- Season 1 (1 Viewer)

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
I have mixed feelings. I liked it...but I think I was expecting (hoping?) a little more Jake LaMotta and a little less Rocky Balboa.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
I caught the first episode of this show, and thought it was great. I can't wait to see more.

Always remember seeing Holt McCallany as one of the detectives on CSI: Miami, and a henchmen on various shows. And in this show, it seems like he has become one, to make some money for his family.

The huge flaw is the wife and her accent. Is she suppose to be British or American?

Hope it doesn't suffer the same fate as Terriers.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Originally Posted by Walter C

The huge flaw is the wife and her accent. Is she suppose to be British or American?

I caught that too. I think it's a British actress doing a bad job of disguising her accent.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Thought it was really good. They hit the ground running. Stacy Keach is always a plus. I was shocked by the last song, which was a cover of a song by local (to DFW) musician Brian Burns. And was that Marcus the V as the dentist (yes, it was)?

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Originally Posted by Greg_S_H

And was that Marcus the V as the dentist (yes, it was)?

It took me a while to figure out it was the same actor, since he showed a lot more emotion in this show. I'm just so used to seeing him showing no emotion at all.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
That's why, even though he has a pretty unique look, I had to think about it for a minute. I guess it's a sign that he does a better job on V than you might realize.

Joe_H

Screenwriter
Anyone still watching this? I didn't catch the first episode right away but watched it on Amazon Video and then recorded the rest, and I'm finding that while I was a little unsure after the first episode if I was going to like it, that I definitely am liking the direction it's taking.

Joe_H

Screenwriter
Finally an actual fight... and it looked like crap, in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, it was a great episode, but the fight looked kind of phony to me. The end was the worst, when the opponent went down, the punches didn't even look anywhere near him. I realize they're not going to really hit each other, but you might need better choreography or camera angles or something then.

I was annoyed at first, when they just were doing the voiceover of the fight as the daughter watched on TV, but in some ways they might have been better served by that for the whole fight (though then of course they'd have had a whole mess of other issues).

...Unless it was intentional, and the opponent was taking a dive, which I guess could be possible but doesn't seem likely.

Glad they finally at least gave a passing mention to the mother's slipping into an accent occasionally though.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I wonder how this is doing. I don't hear a lot of buzz, and I know nobody I know has even heard of it. Critical acclaim, judging by wiki. I guess it's another quality show that will follow Terriers down the memory hole. I like everything but the title sequence. It's not horrible and is sort of Rockyesque, but it's really brash and usually follows a quiet moment. This show could do without it.

Garrett Adams

Supporting Actor
I was half expecting a watch the pilot and bail on the series. That didn't happen as I enjoyed the show. This weeks episode was particularly good. I never watched Oz so Eamonn Walker caught me by surprise. He's a powerful actor. My first impression was whether he was Idris Elba's brother.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
I am also still watching, and really loving it. Didn't catch this week's episode, Hate to see it cancelled, but man.. it has such a brutal time slot, and did not get a chance to have any lead-in.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I'd never seen Eamonn Walker, so I assumed he naturally talked with a rasp, but it was just a character trait I assume he came up with. Ed is obviously correct about Johnny, but his solution just wouldn't work. I'll miss the character, though. This show always ends with me wanting more. The time just flies by, so it doesn't seem like it's time for it to end.

Joe_H

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Greg_S_H

I'd never seen Eamonn Walker, so I assumed he naturally talked with a rasp, but it was just a character trait I assume he came up with. Ed is obviously correct about Johnny, but his solution just wouldn't work. I'll miss the character, though. This show always ends with me wanting more. The time just flies by, so it doesn't seem like it's time for it to end.

Yeah, I have a hard time seeing him staying around after that last scene. Even if it was Johnny who did the stabbing, I can't see Lights keeping Ed around after that, which is a shame because he's a great character.

Unless maybe Death Row sees that Ed isn't with Lights, and he goes to advising him instead. It seemed during the one scene in the gym an episode earlier that there was a chance for reconciliation there.

I really hope that the final fight will have better choreography when it comes, because it seems like the fighter last time did not take a dive, as I expected, which just means it was badly done.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Lights shed some viewers and is now down to about 688K viewers. That's below Terriers numbers, so it's not a great sign. Too bad, because this has quietly become one of my most-anticipated shows every week. Hopefully they'll leave off the season with a mostly resolved storyline, as was the case with Terriers. I liked the way Lights maneuvered around Barry to secure his rematch.

Spero D

Second Unit
Now that Ed has left the show I may as well, as I liked his character as it injected a bit of life into this show.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
If you've been with it all along, it's only a few more episodes.

It's a well-oiled machine. Things from the beginning are still very much in play. I thought the perp walk was going to be the ending, since they like ending on that note, but the actual ending was a little surprise that I should have seen coming. I wish more people were watching.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks