What's new

Lights help (1 Viewer)

Marc_E

Supporting Actor
Hi All,
I am undergoing a big house renovation and my dedicated theater is becoming part of a larger room now. See link below for the pdf.

On the plans I drew in where my couch is and screen. I know nothing about lighting but here are my thoughts. I was thinking 3 kinds of lights
1. Normal light up the room brightly lights
2. Lights that can be used for low controlled light while using the PJ (I view mostly at night other than Football).
3. Some focused lighting directly to the seating (sectional couch) for reading during viewing that would not or minimally impede the image.

The PJ will be ceiling mounted pretty much above the coffee table / av rack. It is a Dwin TV3 and the screen is a vutec brightwhite 103" Diag that I may upgrade to a silverstar.

So what do I need, where which? I really don't know where to start and need lots of help.

Thanks
http://home.comcast.net/~ajcevans/plans_with_pencil.PDF

Dave Milne

Supporting Actor
Marc
I think you're on the right track. But the plans show the right side of your theater open to the family room (which is also open to the kitchen?). And large windows in both lower corners. I'd be more concerned about keeping out light than creating light :)

Your #1 is a good idea. I used some recessed MR16 halogen floods, although many stick with standard H7 high-voltage cans. Probably four of them should do it for the theater area. You can always simply dim these to create #2.

Wall sconces are always a theater "favorite" for option 2, but in your case I don't know if you have any way to place them on the right side (no wall?). You might want to consider some spots or wall washers on art and/or curtains. Alternatively #2 and #3 can be combined with some dimmable spots above the couch.

Of course options 1, 2, and 3 should be on separate switches/dimmers. Look into a dimmer system (like Lutron Spacer or GrafikEye) that lets you create "scenes".

Good luck. Lighting is fun! If this is major new construction, let your mind go wild: trayed ceiling with rope lighting... columns with sconces... fiber optic "stars" embedded in the ceiling... lighted movie poster boxes...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks