Lightning & TIVO Repair

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bill_D, Jul 5, 2002.

1. Bill_D

Bill_D Supporting Actor

Well, mother nature hit the other night and took out several items. Besides the HVAC unit, the light on the mailbox, several wall switches and fixtures, all of the telephones, etc. everything else was spared. Most of HT, AV equipment and computer is behind Monster/BPT/Richard Gray/PS Audio UO devices. They may not improve the sound in some people's opinion but they obviously stopped the renegade voltage from damaging my equipment. My cable service was disrupted as well. When the Tech came by, he measured a 15db loss from just outside the house to the distribution box just inside, about 6 feet. They are out there retrenching new coax right now.
    That being said, I did lose all of my TIVO boxes and satellite receivers except for the ones that had both the AC and Coax lines protected. My homeowners policy will replace/fix everything less a $250 deductible. [​IMG] The insurance co. wants me to try and get the TIVOs repaired. Is this possible? I have had a Sony SAT-T60 and a Phillips HDR612. I want new units. I am more than willing to box up the fried units and send 'em to them.
    Anyone had any success with repaired TIVOs from an authorized repair house. And, how long did it take?
    My Denon DRA685 was also fried in my workout area. Damn!

2. Pamela

Pamela Supporting Actor

From what I've heard, Sony will not repair out of warranty units. Philips will repair them, however, as well as out of warranty Philips units. I don't think they are particularly speedy. Other than Philips, I don't think there are any other authorized service facilities, although places like 9thtee.com make repairs. If you've done any mods to the units, I don't think Philips will touch them.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune, but it sounds like it could have been a lot worse,

3. Jason Caudill

Jason Caudill Stunt Coordinator

Do you have any lifetime subscriptions on those boxes? If so it might be better to get them repaired unless you can get the insurance to cover new subscriptions. Jason

4. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

Bill, your prudence paid off, great news for you!