Lightning Surge - Need Help??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Marc Weppner, May 29, 2002.

1. Marc Weppner

Marc Weppner Auditioning

Hello all,

I need some quick advice. My home was struck by lightning the other day (very minimal damage luckily!). This seems to have had an impact on my stereo setup. My receiver comes on, lights up, etc, etc. But I don't really get any sound out of it. When turning it on, I hear both clicks - one slightly delayed after turning it on - like always. If I turn the volume almost all the way up, and run the test tones, I get absolutely nothing out of the front left and right, and barely a sound (audible, but very low) out of the center and rears. I have not tested the deck speakers and I'm at work now so I will do that when I get home. In your opinion, would this be a receiver problem or a speaker problem? I have no idea what lightning does to these components.

I have a Sony Str-DE receiver - I believe it is an 815 or 825.

Any thoughts/advice would be VERY MUCH appreciated as I'm trying to work with my insurance company on this issue.

Thank you!
    Marc

2. Hank_P

Hank_P Second Unit

Off to the service center.

If it's still under warranty, you can probably get it fixed for nothing "...no, I don't know what happened, it just wouldn't come on" - result= fixed under warranty

If you tell the service repair center you got hit ..they'll charge you $$$ to look at it.. then charge you $$$ to repair it.

3. Marc Weppner

Marc Weppner Auditioning

thanks for the info. I have confirmation that it is the receiver. I hooked up my center channel to my old receiver I have laying around and it worked fine. So at least I now know it is the receiver.

Thanks for your advice.

Marc

4. Mike Matheson

Mike Matheson Second Unit

Marc,

Most receivers have fuses that can easily be blown by the situation you describe. If it won't void your warranty (i.e., if it's easy and you won't leave any marks), open up your receiver and look for a couple fuses (generally towards the back). Pull each out and look closely at it--if one is blown, you can probably pick up a replacement at Radio Shack or similar.

5. Steve K.H.

Steve K.H. Supporting Actor

a) Check your microwave, TV, answering machine (if you have one), computer(s), and anything else with a computer chip (like an appliance).

b) Call your insurance company.

6. Marc Weppner

Marc Weppner Auditioning

thanks for all the replies and advice. I'll try to open it up this evening and see what I can find. It would be great if I could fix it that way and avoid my deductible!!

I had a couple other items fried in the house as well, but for the most part, everything else seems to be fine.

Thanks!