Lightning Strike = Upgrade Time?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Robert G, May 17, 2002.

1. Robert G

Robert G Stunt Coordinator

I had the unfortunate experience of my first lightning strike to damage my electronics today. I had all of my stuff on an el cheapo surge protector and I guess that I got what I paid for. Thankfully my TV (Mits 65907), DVD player(HK DVD 50), Millenium DTS decoder and Samson 700 amp all survived. The Samson went into protection mode but finally went back to normal a couple hours later after being unplugged and everything unhooked from it. However, my Denon 2700 did not survive. It will not turn on at all. The strange thing is that everything except the Samson was hooked up to the same surge protector. As a side note my garage door openers are fried as well and a cheap TV in a bedroom and none of my clocks are even blinking from loss of power.[​IMG]
    Now to my questions. Is there anything I can do to see if I may be able to restore power to the Denon 2700? If not I am pretty set on buying the Denon 3802. It was time for an upgrade in the receiver department anyway but I wasn't expecting it to be this soon. Also, what is a good surge protector for less than $200? Or is there such a thing. Thanks for any input.

2. Michael Mathius

Michael Mathius Supporting Actor

3. Gifford L

Gifford L Agent

I'd say that if most of your gear survived you surge protector may have done some of it's job. I'd check the fuses of the AVR2800 and see if they are fried and if so replace them and see what happens.

4. Claude M

Claude M Stunt Coordinator

Check fuses on sockets and buss fuses which might be soldered on to the PCBs (not sure if they are used or not in audio equiptment) use a VOM.

5. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

I have my HT stuff connected to a cheapo surge protector too. Is there a sort-of-cheap good surge protector I can buy to protect my stuff from this?

6. Ken Custodio

Ken Custodio Second Unit

Don't alot of these surge suppressors have garantees? Also, if you have home owners insurance it might be covered. I know my insurance will cover lightning strikes but I have to pay my $250 deductable.