Lightning Questions, for Weatherfolks :)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DeathStar1, Apr 19, 2002.

1. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

Ever since I saw this documentary on lightning, either on TLC, or TWC, it's spooked the heck out of me.
    It told the story of someone who was typing away at their desk, listening to music on the radio, when all of a sudden, lightning shot through the speakers. He didn't do anything wrong, but the storm was 5 miles away.
    Ever since, as soon as I hear thunder, I unplug standard speakers like computer, or stereo speakers just to be in the safe side.....But, is this really needed? Or is there an easier way to make your house lightning proof?
    They also stated that lightning can travel through an open window as well...
    This being typed as a severe storm is headed right my way, and thunder can be heard [​IMG].

2. Dave Falasco

Dave Falasco Screenwriter

I don't know the answer to your question, but I do know that I am sitting here at work, watching a few rain drops splatter against the windows, listening to music through headphones plugged into my speakers, and feeling a lot less good about it than I did five minutes ago... [​IMG]
    (I'd turn the music off, but it's John Coltrane...you understand...) [​IMG]

3. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

If lightning is going to strike, then it's going to strike. The entire of your home is wired, and these could conduct the charge just the same, so how are you going to get away from that? You're not, unless you move in with the Amish.[​IMG]
    Not to mention, if you receive a direct hit on the house, whether or not wiring exists will be largely inconsequential.
    Fear not. You can't control "acts of God," so why fret about it? I live in the lightning capital of the US (Central Florida- man, you should see one of our summer afternoon light shows!), and I don't worry too much. Use basic precautions- I turn off most of my gear during a bad storm, don't walk outside with a large metal pole, etc. And don't worry about things you can't change.
    Todd

4. Bill Cowmeadow

Bill Cowmeadow Second Unit

I don't beleive that there is such a thing as a lightning supressor. Yes, you might be able to buy such a device, but 'weather' it works or not, is another question.

Bill

5. Daren Welsh

Daren Welsh Supporting Actor

6. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

Don't bother with "Lightening Rods". If they take a direct hit, they are obliterated anyways. Mostly, you just have to remember that lightening is like anything-it can vary in size and intensity. Really, really big bolts are rare and most of them don't reach ground. The ones that do are "usually" smaller (of course, that doesn't make them safe). The strength is in numbers. There is no way to predict lightening, but the chances that it will strike you or even your home are remote.

Fun facts:

7. Michael D. Bunting

Michael D. Bunting Screenwriter

Michael