What's new

"Lightmeter" any use for setting a TV (1 Viewer)

Robert Mayrand

Stunt Coordinator
I bought Avia and did some quick tuning, but Still always have some difficulties setting white and black level particularly white. Since I'm also into photography I was wondering if I could use my lightmeter to do some calibration. My lightmeter is a quite expensive instrument and if i could find it another use it would be great. It's the top of the line sekonic with all the feature (508cine) with a spot meter and is really, really accurate.

Thanks for your help.
Robert

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

You can use it to set the contrast level of the TV. Aiming for 15 to 20 ft-l for RPTV's and 20 to 30 for Direct Views.

Regards

Robert Mayrand

Stunt Coordinator
What exactly are those number. I'm use to many light measurement foot candle, candel, lux, lumens but i'm not sure about FT-I???? Maybe my english is a bit too limited. Can i use one of avia test pattern to do this? They suggest somewhere a checkboard grid measuring black & white space, i suppose that it must be the différence between the two?
Any other suggestions?

Thanks
Rob
Mtl, Quebec

Les Holt

Agent
Yes, I think a decent light meter could also be used to focus the set electronically and mechanically.

At optimal focus, the light output from the set should be at minimum because the fewest phosphors are being activated.

It can be hard to see optimal focus visually, especially with the blue gun. A meter can help provide objective information.

Les

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks