What's new

Lighting (1 Viewer)

Matt^Brown

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by Chris Lockwood

Plus they contain mercury, so you have to call the HazMat team if you break one.

Do you really think they are that dangerous? I am shocked at all the people that hate the new bulbs.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Matt^Brown

Do you really think they are that dangerous? I am shocked at all the people that hate the new bulbs.

Have you read the hazards of mercury? They've learned a lot since the days I used to roll balls of the stuff across the desk in chemistry class. It's some pretty powerful stuff. In most states you aren't even allowed to dispose of them with regular trash. The same oraganization who preach the gospel of "green" bulbs publish this:

Elemental (metallic) mercury and all of its compounds are toxic, exposure to excessive levels can permanently damage or fatally injure the brain and kidneys. Elemental mercury can also be absorbed through the skin and cause allergic reactions. Ingestion of inorganic mercury compounds can cause severe renal and gastrointestinal damage. Organic compounds of mercury such as methyl mercury are considered the most toxic forms of the element. Exposures to very small amounts of these compounds can result in devastating neurological damage and death. For fetuses, infants and children, the primary health effects of mercury are on neurological development. Even low levels of mercury exposure such as result from mother's consumption methylmercury in dietary sources can adversely affect the brain and nervous system. Impacts on memory, attention, language and other skills have been found in children exposed to moderate levels in the womb.

orf.od.nih.gov/Environmental+Protection/Mercury+Free/MercuryHealthHazards.htm

Marianne

Supporting Actor
Here is a video from Consumer Reports on the potential dangers of CFL blubs:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/video-hub/home--garden/home-appliances--energy-savings/cfl-safety/16952133001/1446816450/

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
About 3 years ago at work, we changed out 170 mercury vapor lights in our shop area to 6 bulb T8 florescent fixtures. These lights were on 24/7 and we immediately noticed a $5,000.00 month drop in our electric bill. Plus if there is a brief power interruption, the florescent relight right away and not in 15 minutes. We have a recycling program for the bulbs.

At my house I have 11 recessed lights in my kitchen that have the spiral bulbs in them. They take a few seconds to warm up, but none have needed replacing in two years. If one does need replacing, I will recycle the old one at work. We have another 2 florescent bulbs over our stove and they are on at least 18 hours per day. I don't know how much electric we are saving, but I don't feel as guilty leaving them on all the time. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks