What's new

Lighting Zones - Too much of a good thing? (1 Viewer)

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
I'm planning out lighting for me next HT have come up with six independent zones I would like to control:
  • Main overhead pot lights for ambient/fill
  • Overhead task lights to throw focused light on the seating positions (with louvres to minimize ambient)
  • Spot lights under soffets for accents, except for...
  • Spot light accents under soffet over screen (want to be able to shut them down independent of others)
  • Indirect lighting in soffit tray
  • Rope lighting under riser

Control would be through a Lutron Spacer remote wall-mount master and six Spacer dimmers (located in equipment room, fed by master's IR blaster). I've marked out the four scenes I would like to manage (Movie, Music, Entertain, Intermission) and each of the above zones have a specific role. On paper it looks heavy but I'm following the rules of ambient/fill lighting, task lighting, and accent lighting. Thoughts?

MikeWh

Second Unit
Sounds like a plan, Jay! ;) Glad you have it on paper! I'll take your word for it. :emoji_thumbsup:

I hate replying in two threads (i.e., your other post on Spacers today), but I was wondering if you considered their RadioRA system... Seems like it could be very useful for expanding lighting control throughout the whole house (like X-10, but strict RF). I haven't done any price comparisons yet though.... I'd be interested to see those numbers.

Pam W

Stunt Coordinator
Jay,

I also have 6 zones planned for my HT. Strongly considered the Spacer system, but when I started checking the prices, I found the Grafik Eye came so close in price (for 6 zones) that I went with the GE instead. Plus it'll give me more flexibility in scenes.

I definitely recommend price checking before you make your final decision!

pam

Bill Lucas

Supporting Actor
Jay,

Pam hit the nail on the head. You'll get much more ease-of-use with a Lutron Grafik Eye and with the higher end Grafik Eye you achieve even more control over your scenes.

Radio RA is a great product BUT it's very expensive and I wouldn't use it for a single room application.

Eddie L

Stunt Coordinator
Interesting that 2 of you say the Grafik Eye is better. I too was comparing prices and they are very close, within maybe $50. So I decided to call Lutron and ask. I was surprised when I was told that the Spacer would be better for my needs: HT room only, 3 zones, 3-4 scenes. I was told Spacer was more user friendly. I like the looks of GE much better than 3 dimmers and a master control. I just gotta say, I was surprised they weren't just out to make a buck, but to find what was best for my needs. But.....I stil haven't made up my mind yet. You may be steering me to the GE.
Thanks,
Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HobbitGolf
Recent bookmarks