Lighting Controls for Automated Dimming

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by DonRC, Jan 17, 2005.

1. DonRC

DonRC Stunt Coordinator

Sep 30, 2004
    I got all distracted by other things for a while, but now I'm ready to get back to doing my media room. The next step in my project (hardly discernible from the FIRST step, but that would be discouraging...) is to install lighting sconces in the room.

I want to install a dimmer that will allow me to set up automated dimming of the lights as the movie begins to play, so that the lights dim down over the first X seconds of the movie. I have not yet purchased a HT remote, but I want to be able to control the lights with a macro from my universal remote control.

Can anybody provide me with any suggestions for lighting hardware that will allow me to do this? Is there a particular remote I will need for your particular solution, or can just about any decent universal remote do the job? What suggestion would you make for a remote to do this (as well as all the other "stuff" in the HT)?

Thanks for any assistance you can provide.

Best regards,
  2. todbnla

todbnla Screenwriter

Oct 17, 1999
    From what I gather from above, it seems like a simple Lutron Spacer dimmer is all you need, it comes with its own remote and can be found for about $20-30 at your local home center. I have one in mine and it seems like the dimming is in the 2 second delay not sure if this is adjustable or not but check out this thread:
  3. RyanYYZ

RyanYYZ Auditioning

Sep 16, 2004
    Don - I would look into the Homeseer software (can't post URLs yet but you can probably guess if you put a www & com on each end [​IMG]) & supported technologies - I use it already for automation & lighting throughout my home and the next project is to extend it into my family/media room.

It can tie into X10 & Lutron (among others) and depending on the interface you purchase you can also use it with INfrared (send and receive) - match everything up and you can hit one button, power up your components, drop the screen & dim the lights etc.

Not to mention all the other cool stuff you can have it do around the house.