What's new

Lighted AV rack? (1 Viewer)

Al_Reb

Agent
When I was searching for a new rack, for my HT upgrade, I came across this lighted rack I would have got it but it couldn't hold my new HK pieces. The shelfs were to small.:)
Anyhoo, I really liked the look of the lit up glass rack an would like to do it to my Bell'O. I searched in this forum and found nothing on this subject.
Does anyone have any ideas on how to do this? Or, should I just try to find a place that sells the Schroers & Schroers lighting kit, online?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bill_Weinreich

Second Unit
All that they appear to be are lights attached to the rear edge of the glass shelf. Regular incandescent mini bulbs (Radio shack) may not be bright enough to shine through. Halogens may work better but may be "noisy". Building them on the other hand may be tricky. First deside on the light source (type,intensity, color, quantity, etc.) Fabricate brackets to attach to the shelves. Make sure that they allow for venting of the bulbs. Depending on the type of bulb used, a suitible power supply will be needed.

I would say it could be done but I'd check the price on the Schroers first.

Bill

Al_Reb

Agent
Thanks, everyone. As far as the what I'll do, I think I'm leaning toward just buying the S&S light kit. I found it online after google'n for hours(that just sound so dirty:)) for the low, low price of $250. Egad, I must be knuts.
After looking at all the suggestions, it may be the only way:frowning: Fiber optic would work, but is big time $$$. The neon I don't think would shine threw the glass and I really don't want to glue it to the front of the rack. Which leaves's me with Bill's suggestions, buy or build.
I spent many hours at Radio Shack & Lowe's last night, building it looks like it will be more involved than I previously thought. When I told the clerks, at both stores, what I was trying to do, they just looked at me as though I had 9 heads and fly eyes:frowning: Then I showed them the S & S pic, "Wow, that's cool but..." is what I got. Both agreed, with Bill, that mini's aren't bright enough to shine thou and neither of them knew of colored halogens and white just won't do.;)
So, I'm left with buying. My only question now is from who? There were only a couple of online sites that had S&S in the US. And of them, few had the light kit(s). And I don't really know that much about the site(s) reputation, good, bad, ok, or indifferent. So I may just scrap the whole idea. But thanks again for all your suggestions.

What about LEDs? They are inexepensive, come in many colors and can be very bright. Radio shack should have some. I've seen them used alot to light up the edge of glass like that. Shouldn't be too hard to do.

Al_Reb

Agent
DOH! Back to Radio Shack! I wonder why the guy there never suggested LEDs? Thanks, Blake. I try a different Radio Shack, this time.

Bill_Weinreich

Second Unit
Any lighting would give a "glow" to the edges. It all depends on how bright you want. In a darkened room, you may not need that much. Bright LED's should work, especially blue or white, but these are expensive and I dont think the Shack carries them. There are a lot of online and mail order companies that sell these. Just do a search for electronics surplus. I would suggest that before you go to the expence of buying the LED's (blue & White ones can be $3-$10 each), pick up one of those blue LED keychain lights (usually about $7) and see how it shines through.

Have fun.

Bill

James E

Stunt Coordinator
Al, sorry to dredge up the past, but i just remembered this thread, and was woundering if you got it woriking.:b

james

P.S.

umm.... Bump

Richard_M

Second Unit
There is a company in Melbourne Australia that makes good AV racks and other stands. They use coloured LED's that are encased in an aluminum box section that clips to the back of the Perspex or glass shelf. This is obviously so all the light is directed to the shelf. They come as a row of 1 colour or multi colour in the same strip.

I will try and dig up their address if I can; they usually have them on display at our AV exhibition which I think the next one will be around April.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
DOH! Back to Radio Shack! I wonder why the guy there never suggested LEDs? Thanks, Blake. I try a different Radio Shack, this time.
This (using LEDs) might be a little hard to pull off - unless you use enough of them.

Also, you might consider looking into some of the low-voltage "under the cabinet" types of lights from your local Home Depot or Lowes. They might have something there that you could adapt to your situation.

Mattak

Stunt Coordinator
LED's or cold cathod florescent would be my guess for best light source in a reasonable price range. Both LED and CCF can be very bright, I'm sure brighter than you would need.

Allen Ross

Supporting Actor
i think i would go LED because of their lumens rating, especially if you implement them so they just shine towards the edge of the glass,
i think it will act kinda like fiber optics in that the light will come out the edge more then the top and bottom, but i might be off on that.
Another tit idea, to rig the lighting up to the dimmer switch so when you dim the over head lights you can inversely dim the lights on the rack :D, or tone them down your choice.
If I ever do a glass flexy rack, i will def implement something like this

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks