Light Fusion DIY screen?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by DonRC, Oct 18, 2004.

1. DonRC

DonRC Stunt Coordinator

I looked at the Light Fusion DIY screen over at AVSForum. Has anybody here had any experience with those screens (building, viewing, discussing...)? It looks like a slightly more challenging screen to build than other DIY projects, but the people that have talked about it are obviously very excited about their results.

My understanding is that it was designed to get high performance out of projectors that have relatively low light output and relatively low contrast ratios. Would it still be worth consideration for somebody that was getting one of the newer projectors with 1000 lumens or so of light output and 2000:1 or better contrast ratios? (I'm considering something like the BenQ 8700+, although the AE700 is certainly intriguing as well.)

Any thoughts?

2. Scott L

Scott L Producer

It's probably the "holy grail" of the DIY options but it also requires the most work. And it's far from easy. You got some people that back it like a religion and others that have tried it and say it's not worth the effort, just buy one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

W = White, G =Grey, SD = Super Deluxe aka Light Fusion

3. DonRC

DonRC Stunt Coordinator

I understand that the "Light Fusion" screen is more work than a typical DIY screen - but the argument that it isn't worth it and somebody should just go buy one doesn't make sense to me. Even though Light Fusion is more expensive to build than a typical DIY screen, it looks to me like it's still dramatically less expensive than buying a high quality screen.

Then again, I could be wrong. Am I? Please help me understand.

4. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Good point, only way to know is to try it out yourself. It is the best DIY solution. You may or may not need to rent a paint spray gun and being a handyman in general always helps. I haven't done any research recently, who carries large sheets of plexiglass?

5. DonRC

DonRC Stunt Coordinator

I know that Regal Plastics carries very large sheets of plexiglass (5'x10') in the Dallas-Fort Worth area. What I'd really like, though, is a sheet of plexiglass mirror that size. Any ideas where I might be able to find one of those? (Regal doesn't carry them, but might be able to order them. However, there would be significant additional cost to go this route.)