What's new

Light Bulbs & Wiring Query (1 Viewer)

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
The ceiling light fixture in my kitchen is acting very strange. It's been odd for several years but getting worse. It holds 3 bulbs, and one socket is fine. The other two, however, have been blowing light bulbs at an ever-increasing pace until I just stopped replacing them at all and lived with just the one one bulb. The last time, the bulbs lasted about three days before going out.
Is this a sign of something serious? Or just an annoying and expensive quirk? Should I bother with an electrician? This problem predates the SVS subwoofer, so that shouldn't be it. :D

Kevin P

Screenwriter
What usually causes light bulbs to blow is (a) age (not in this case though), (b) vibration, or (c) voltage spikes or incorrect voltage.

If a bulb died after 3 days, it's not age. That leaves vibration or voltage problems. Voltage problems could be surges or dropouts due to bad wiring in the socket.

Try using a ceiling fan bulb, they are more vibration resistant and may last longer. If it still blows prematurely then there is probably a problem with the socket. In that case you may want to replace the fixture, unless you can take it apart and replace just the bad socket.

KJP

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
My first thought was bad sockets, which isn't that unusual. If you are fairly handy, you can replace them yourself. It's pretty easy to figure out in most cases and new sockets only cost a buck or two. If you don't know how to work around electricity, don't do it yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks