What's new

Lifetime Movie Network-A saying for a poor excuse of a premium channel! (1 Viewer)

Nicholas Vargo

Second Unit
Real Name
Nicholas Vargo
Anyone who has digital cable has probably skimed past Lifetime Movie Network, which has got to be worse premium channel in television history. Hell, this channel makes AMC look like "Citizen Kane". How's this for reasons: Horrible movies starring good actors, commercials all over the place, and about 99.9 percent of nothing but made-for-TV movies. Sure, the occasional theatrical movie shows up, but I don't want to watch a MAR presentation with commercials. AMC at least has better programming and more interesting stuff than this channel that has gull to call itself "premium". Anyone else agree with me or what?

P.S.: I know I am a man, but I'm only 16 and this is mainly the only thing my mother watches on TV and sometimes, it makes me wish I could bash the TV in. I'm not sexist or anything, but there are better things for women to watch on TV.

What do you think?

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
I wish they'd develop as many "man" channels as they do "women" channels. Between Lifetime, Lifetime Movies, WE, Lifetime Real Women, and Oxygen, you'd think there'd be enough... Bring me the testosterone channel, dammit! :D

Gui A

Supporting Actor
There's a Link Removed channel up here in Canada...
Their schedule includes Cops, Cheers and Benny Hill reruns, along with some female nudity late at night.

Thik Nongyow

Stunt Coordinator
I hope that this discussion does not degrade into a sexist flamewar. Anyway, there are cable channels that appeal to men, such as TNT and the sport networks.

Jodee

Screenwriter
Yeah, there's absolutely no TV programing that's geared for men.
ESPN, The Golf Channel, The Man Show, Baywatch, the list could go on forever.
You guys are so disenfranchised. :frowning:

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, there's absolutely no TV programing that's geared for men.
ESPN, The Golf Channel, The Man Show, Baywatch, the list could go on forever.
You guys are so disenfranchised. :frowning:
The comments Todd and I made were strictly tongue in cheek. That said, why does sports automatically equal men's television? I'm a guy, but have little to no interest in sports. That leaves us with the bi-gender programming and... The Man Show:). I know a Me network would never get of the ground.
For a woman's network that does show good films (albeit MARed), try We. It has a broad range of films from mainstream to independent, on a variety of topics. (As opposed to the "wifebeater" and "woman entering business in male dominated world" stuff that tends to dominate Lifetime movie selections.)

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
Nicholas, in all honesty, what were you expecting? It's Lifetime. You are a man, right? :) The only DECENT thing worth watching on any Lifetime channel is the Golden Girls.

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
Jodee,

When ESPN shows the Jump Rope Championships and the World Spelling Bee Finals, those aren't exactly men's programming. Also, there's difference between shows geared towards men and channels geared towards men. As Adam pointed out, ESPN is about sports, regardless of gender.

Steven K

Supporting Actor
Characteristics of a Lifetime movie (I only know this because my wife watches Lifetime more than any other channel):

1. Stars at least one of the following people: Meredith Baxter, Judith Light, or Michael Gross

2. Storyline revolves around one of the following: child molestationabduction, spousal abuse, breast cancer, or drug abuse

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
My wife watches movies on this channel every now and then. I don't understand why something that you're not interested in automatically deserves to be thrown off the air?

I pay for cable and get lots of channels I'm not interested in (any that centers on sports). But my wife gains enjoyment from WE and Liftime and TLC and such, so it's a good thing.

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
Chad,
I for one wasn't suggesting they take them off but add some all-man channels. That would be great, crotch-grabbingly great in fact (sorry, couldn't resist the Homer-ism :D )

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
This is the first time I have ever heard of Lifetime Movie Network as being a premium channel. In my area, it is part of a basic cable package and on my DirectTv it is also one of the many channels that comes with the basic total choice package.
Let's not forget The Playboy Channel("Entertainment for men") and although there are women that watch sports, that does not change the fact that ESPN is most certainly geared 95% toward men. I mean, Hell when was that last time you saw an ad for feminine hygiene products, perfume, Fabric Softener or any Revlon lipsticks on ESPN during Sunday night Baseball?

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
Brian,
There's a feminine hygene product that I've seen advertised during sports broadcasts - you know, the one with the orange "period" bouncing around? :b
Let me ask you this: when was the last time you saw a jock itch commericial at all? :D (Not that I'm asking for them!)
I don't think ESPN is 95% geared towards men actually. Sports itself I don't see really geared towards anyone but sports fans and ESPN shows its share of women sports.
Even given ESPN and Playboy (which is Premium, unlike the women's channels), the balance is still firmly in the women's direction. So I say, where's the Maxim channel? :D

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
I find most of the made for tv junk on some of these channels pretty tedious. At least they aren't all devoted to male-bashing, some are about women who've murdered their husbands in their "final fury".

Some do manage to run some good old theatrical movies that don't get seen on AMC or TCM.

I do get a kick out of that "Sunday Night Sex Show" on Oxygen--some 65ish lady giving consumer reviews of sex toys!!!! She even evaluates them for durability and battery-life, and makes suggestions on which ones would best meet the needs of women who call into the show.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Even given ESPN and Playboy (which is Premium, unlike the women's channels), the balance is still firmly in the women's direction.
While I agree that there are more channels explicitly and openly geared towards women, marketing, and consequently major networks, favor a male audience, particularly in prime time. Cable channels have plenty of "guy" stuff: TBS, TNT, TNN, USA, Comedy Central, and the Sci-Fi Channel depend primarily on male viewership.

And the fact is, men are generally more interested in sports. Of course they don't have to be, but that's just the way it goes. It is no small wonder that TNT, which shows action flicks, also has basketball. The only difference between the women's channels and the men's channels is that the women's channels are specifically referred to and marketed as women's programming, ie, "Lifetime: Television for Women."

Why is there no men's channel? The same reason there is no WET (White Entertainment Television): we don't need one; we already have that stuff all over the place.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks