1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Lifetime Movie Network-A saying for a poor excuse of a premium channel!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Nicholas Vargo, Aug 16, 2002.

1. Nicholas Vargo

Nicholas Vargo Second Unit

Nicholas Vargo
    Anyone who has digital cable has probably skimed past Lifetime Movie Network, which has got to be worse premium channel in television history. Hell, this channel makes AMC look like "Citizen Kane". How's this for reasons: Horrible movies starring good actors, commercials all over the place, and about 99.9 percent of nothing but made-for-TV movies. Sure, the occasional theatrical movie shows up, but I don't want to watch a MAR presentation with commercials. AMC at least has better programming and more interesting stuff than this channel that has gull to call itself "premium". Anyone else agree with me or what?

P.S.: I know I am a man, but I'm only 16 and this is mainly the only thing my mother watches on TV and sometimes, it makes me wish I could bash the TV in. I'm not sexist or anything, but there are better things for women to watch on TV.

What do you think?

2. Todd Terwilliger

Todd Terwilliger Screenwriter

I wish they'd develop as many "man" channels as they do "women" channels. Between Lifetime, Lifetime Movies, WE, Lifetime Real Women, and Oxygen, you'd think there'd be enough... Bring me the testosterone channel, dammit! [​IMG]

3. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

Todd: I know that Jay Leno was pushing to start a "Me - Men's Entertainment" channel when We was unveiled a while back[​IMG]

4. Gui A

Gui A Supporting Actor

There's a menTV channel up here in Canada...
    Their schedule includes Cops, Cheers and Benny Hill reruns, along with some female nudity late at night.

5. Thik Nongyow

Thik Nongyow Stunt Coordinator

I hope that this discussion does not degrade into a sexist flamewar. Anyway, there are cable channels that appeal to men, such as TNT and the sport networks.

6. Jodee

Jodee Screenwriter

Yeah, there's absolutely no TV programing that's geared for men.
    ESPN, The Golf Channel, The Man Show, Baywatch, the list could go on forever.
    You guys are so disenfranchised. [​IMG]

7. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Are you sure that the 'generation gap' isn't part of the problem?

Glenn

8. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

9. Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel Cinematographer

Nicholas, in all honesty, what were you expecting? It's Lifetime. You are a man, right? [​IMG] The only DECENT thing worth watching on any Lifetime channel is the Golden Girls.

10. Todd Terwilliger

Jodee,

When ESPN shows the Jump Rope Championships and the World Spelling Bee Finals, those aren't exactly men's programming. Also, there's difference between shows geared towards men and channels geared towards men. As Adam pointed out, ESPN is about sports, regardless of gender.

11. Steven K

Steven K Supporting Actor

Characteristics of a Lifetime movie (I only know this because my wife watches Lifetime more than any other channel):

1. Stars at least one of the following people: Meredith Baxter, Judith Light, or Michael Gross

2. Storyline revolves around one of the following: child molestationabduction, spousal abuse, breast cancer, or drug abuse

12. Todd Terwilliger

Steven,
    You forgot Valerie Bertinelli or Jo from The Facts of Life. [​IMG]

13. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch
    My wife watches movies on this channel every now and then. I don't understand why something that you're not interested in automatically deserves to be thrown off the air?

I pay for cable and get lots of channels I'm not interested in (any that centers on sports). But my wife gains enjoyment from WE and Liftime and TLC and such, so it's a good thing.

14. Todd Terwilliger

Chad,
    I for one wasn't suggesting they take them off but add some all-man channels. That would be great, crotch-grabbingly great in fact (sorry, couldn't resist the Homer-ism [​IMG] )

15. Brian Lawrence

Brian Lawrence Producer

Brian
    This is the first time I have ever heard of Lifetime Movie Network as being a premium channel. In my area, it is part of a basic cable package and on my DirectTv it is also one of the many channels that comes with the basic total choice package.
    Let's not forget The Playboy Channel("Entertainment for men") and although there are women that watch sports, that does not change the fact that ESPN is most certainly geared 95% toward men. I mean, Hell when was that last time you saw an ad for feminine hygiene products, perfume, Fabric Softener or any Revlon lipsticks on ESPN during Sunday night Baseball?

16. Paul_Medenwaldt

Paul_Medenwaldt Supporting Actor

On Dish Network they have a Men's Channel, but all they do is run infomercials.

17. Todd Terwilliger

Brian,
    There's a feminine hygene product that I've seen advertised during sports broadcasts - you know, the one with the orange "period" bouncing around? :b
    Let me ask you this: when was the last time you saw a jock itch commericial at all? [​IMG] (Not that I'm asking for them!)
    I don't think ESPN is 95% geared towards men actually. Sports itself I don't see really geared towards anyone but sports fans and ESPN shows its share of women sports.
    Even given ESPN and Playboy (which is Premium, unlike the women's channels), the balance is still firmly in the women's direction. So I say, where's the Maxim channel? [​IMG]

18. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

I find most of the made for tv junk on some of these channels pretty tedious. At least they aren't all devoted to male-bashing, some are about women who've murdered their husbands in their "final fury".

Some do manage to run some good old theatrical movies that don't get seen on AMC or TCM.

I do get a kick out of that "Sunday Night Sex Show" on Oxygen--some 65ish lady giving consumer reviews of sex toys!!!! She even evaluates them for durability and battery-life, and makes suggestions on which ones would best meet the needs of women who call into the show.

19. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

20. RobertW

RobertW Supporting Actor