Lifespan of DVD-R disc

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by JohnOPR, Jul 2, 2006.

1. JohnOPR

JohnOPR Stunt Coordinator

I do a lot of recording to DVD-R discs, using blank discs made by Memorex, Panasonic, etc. I have a Pioneer DVD recorder, DVR-310, which does a very good job at this and my collection has gotten pretty substantial. Today, I was reading that I can expect discs that I record myself to last from two to five years, if I observe good maintenance procedures (which I do). I thought data stored via this media (DVD) had a much longer shelf life. Should I expect all my hard work to disappear in the next few short years? If so, this is pretty discouraging.

Hope I posted this to the correct forum.

2. Kelly Grannell

Kelly Grannell Second Unit

From personal experience: the data is safe for at least 5 years. That's how long I've been using DVD-R. For CD-R, the daya is safe for at least 10 years (if you use good media, record at a slower speed) or max of 1 year (if you use cheap media, record at high speed)

Please note that all my CD-R and DVD-R are archived in a climate controlled environment with a constant temp of 21 C and humidity of 50%.

3. Steve Berger

Steve Berger Supporting Actor

The service training manual for the Sony DVD recorders claimed a life of 100 years after the dye was fixed during recording (assuming proper care). While this is a little hard to believe, I think the 3-5 year reports you heard about were refferring to CD-R not DVD-R; at least the ones I read only mentioned CDs.

Personally, I think the situation might have to do with the difference in burning engines and software. DVDs have optimized methods of recording but I doubt that anyone thought about that for the "easy to record" CDs, only thinking about speed.

4. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I have seen numbers of 30 to 100 years for CD-R's. I would think that DVD-R's are similar. But continue to stick with name brands too. (Although in my case, I've had too many bad experiences with Memorex. I like TDK, Maxell, and Fuji, and of course Taiyo Yuden.)

5. Richard Gallagher

Reviewer

Rich Gallagher
    I recorded my first DVD-R around Thanksgiving 2002, roughly three years, eight months ago. I checked it the other day and there are no signs of degradation at all.

6. John Pine

John Pine Supporting Actor

John Pine
    I'm in the process of archiving/editing 10+ years worth of Hi8 "home video" cassettes on Taiyo Yuden 8x DVD-R's. I'm using a Panny DMR-E95H, and the Yuden's damn well better last more the 5 years!