lifespan of a DVD+R/CD-RW combo drive?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Scott_lb, Mar 13, 2004.

1. Scott_lb

Scott_lb Supporting Actor

I am in the process of transferring all of my CD's to MP3's on my hard drive on my new Dell laptop (model 8500). I'd say that I'm doing about 300 CD's total, and I'm a little concerned that I'm ruining the drive by working it so much. I realize that 300 CD's is nothing compared to the collections that some people have built up, however, I love my new machine and don't want to wreck the drive. My warranty expires next fall, and I don't want the drive to die shortly thereafter and be out of warranty. Can anyone tell me if I am "working" my drive too hard?

Thanks!

2. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Drives are cheap, I wouldn't worry about babying a drive. Get as much use out of it as you can and replace it when it dies.

3. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    Don't you want to get as much work out of your hardware before your warranty ends?

Aren't you just planning on ripping 300 CDs? That's just the same as playing 300 CDs. That's not very much. People play music CDs all day in CD-ROM drives. People install dozens of programs, burn hundreds of CDs, play hundreds of games, and generally use their CD drives extensively. I don't see that you're planning anything particularly stressful.

Besides, what choice do you have? If you want to rip your CDs, you've got to use your CD drive.