What's new

Lifelong Windows user contemplates (gasp!) a Macintosh! Advice please! (1 Viewer)

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams

All Macs come pre-installed with MacOS X 10.4 Tiger and some flavor of Ethernet standard.

The best way to get a look at the specs of your computer purchase is to direct your web browser to apple.com/model/ where model is the model name (For example, the iMac is www.apple.com/imac/). Then click on the tech specs tab, which gives you info on what comes with the model and what can be added as a BTO option.

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
All Macs (both laptops and desktops) ship with both iLife '05 and Tiger. Every Mac has Ethernet standard and has for years. Several models also include a built-in wireless card for 802.11g connectivity. The Office 2004 Test Drive is a 30 day trial version of Office 2004. While it does include PowerPoint, there are several features not available in the Test Drive that are available in the full-blown paid version of Office 2004.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Okay, thanks. I didn't know about those detailed hardware descriptions -- you can't get there from the store.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams

I know, I guess they figure you know what you want. :frowning: Glad I could help.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
BTW, new iMacs were just announced today. They come with built in iSight, remote control, FrontRow media software, etc. along with all the usual goodies.

Ted

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
Hope you already did it, since Apple's no longer selling the eMac to the general public. Still available to schools though. Might still find them at resellers until they run out.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams

Luckily I purchased mine last monday (10/3) and it was delivered a few days ago. I understand their reasons for discontinuing it, but it's a bummer all the same.

I'm very happy with my purchase (it was quite a step up from my Rev. D iMac!!!) The only gripe I've had is the small issue of the monitor developing waves if the sound is turned all the way up. They obviously didn't shield the speakers sufficiently. :thumbsdown:

I started out at 512 CTO and I'm going to purchase the other 512 from Crucial, because Apple wanted too much ($125!).

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee

Seth, Mac: Office has Word, Excel, PowerPoint & Entourage. Try to pick up the student teacher edition for cheap if you have any connections at all to schools or teaching. My wife teaching Sunday school was enough to qualify and save us $250.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks