What's new

Life Without The Internet (1 Viewer)

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
It's been a rough couple of weeks. I moved down to school last wednesday, and still no Internet in our house. In fact, the cable modems don't arrive until 8/29, and then we have to set up an installation time, which means bringing the modem to this stupid place on campus to get it ID'ed an so forth. This is discouraging for the obvious reason that I'm an HTF addict...I need it everyday, but I also need the Internet for online orders, ebay, news, AIM, and HW posted online. If I want to be online, I have to drive to the library! I guess some of my friends are getting wired, but I need my own space, ya know? Anyway, just thought I'd share my withdrawl syndrome with the forum. Can't wait to get back to work!

-Chuck

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
I can sympathize with that. You can take my TV, my music, my telephone, and my X Box but I can't lose my broadband access without going thru withdrawl symptoms:)

BradyB

Stunt Coordinator
Don't worry you will get used to it. I recall when I moved out of Residence at university, I went from ethernet hookup on a Fiber backbone to nothing at all. It took me about a month to get through the withdrawls of not having internet... The shakes and everything!! :D
But seriously, u'll get through it... and I feel your pain. go rent a bunch a movies!!

Jeff Pryor

Supporting Actor
Wow, I wonder how past generations ever got through life without the internet. Boggles the mind, doesn't it?

Michael Ballack

Second Unit
I know what you mean. My internet(ATT Broadband) was down today for about 6 hours. It felt more like 6 years though. I was going crazy. What did people do without the internet? :crazy:

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
When I moved onto campus last week, my internet wasn't activated for 3 days. Luckily, we have a 24-hour computer lab literally 500 feet from my door :D

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III

Without being lewd I'm just gonna suggest that the number of children in your average family has dropped considerably over the past few generations.....

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
DAY 10
Dear Journal,
There was a sign of hope today...the cable modems will be in stock Thursday the 29th. However, setting up an installation appointment will take forever. I woke up with the chills this morning: I don't know if it was due to the fact that our A/C was cranked too high or that I'm without the Internet. I forgot how to type on a keyboard , so I saw a doctor about my withdrawls, and they told me to hang tight or a few more weeks. Hopefully, I'll make it through August alive.
-Chuck

Brent Cantrell

Stunt Coordinator
hmph...I remember the days of Lynx, and dialing into BBS's, and no pictures, no pretty markup languages, and email addresses like 12krhd932@#4ks0)@compuserve, and tape drive backups, (cassettes, not 'tapes'), and 750k was enough for everyone, when 9600 was SHWEET!!!
hmph.
(rant over, return to normal transmission....)

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
I'm getting there...we finally have a cable modem at one computer, and the 4-port router is working. Now all I have to do is drill a hole in my wall, buy a long-long RJ45, plug in the Ethernet, and I'm set!

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
Without being lewd I'm just gonna suggest that the number of children in your average family has dropped considerably over the past few generations.....
i dont think the average family has had access to the internet in the past few generations.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
CHUCK!!! i noticed that you live in solon and oxford...so i looked you up in the miami university online directory, and there you were! great to know that there's a fellow htf member at miami! perhaps we could meet up together sometime and share dvds...:D
in your directory listing, it says you're a junior accounting major...i'm a sophomore computer science major but seriously considering switching to accounting...i'm taking acc221 right now. i hope you're not scared of me now and want to avoid me at all costs...:)
good to know you finally got everything hooked up...yeah, service definitely sucks here as far as internet/phone stuff goes...i haven't had any problems yet because i'm in a dorm, but i know someone who just got their phone hooked up two days ago...just under a month after classes started.

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
It's about time a current Miamian spoke up! I remember ACC 221...it was a difficult course, and now I am taking ACC 321 which is 5 times harder! I am also minoring in MIS. It must be nice to live in the dorm and have the Ethernet as soon as you unpack!

Come over to our house next friday night(9/27)... bring girls
...we are having a massive party with multiple kegs, girls, fun, etc. Our house is named DIRTY SOUTH...on 215 S. College by Ace Hardware. We will all be wearing white baseball shirts with green sleeves and John Deere logos, mine says "Chuckster" on the back. I'll demo my SVS for you. In fact, it wouldn't be fair unless I invited all of HTF, so I extend my invitation out to the forum!

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
sorry, i'm not much of a party guy, but thanks for the invitation...
if you have some free time tonight, i'm performing in a concert at hall auditorium with collegiate chorale and global rhythms, and we're gonna perform some awesome music, no kidding! admission is just 5 bucks, and i believe most, if not all, of the proceeds go to a relief organization called aid india...the name explains itself. i might be wrong about where the money goes, the aid india thing might not happen until later concerts, but anyways, 5 bucks is a small price to pay for great live music! come if you can! just make sure you get there early, because there aren't many tickets left...
if i missed something in the htf handbook and advertising isn't allowed in the forum, let me know and i'll take the concert bit out or wait until an admin removes the bit...:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks