Life with the Titan's Big Brother

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Iver, Jan 8, 2003.

1. Iver

Iver Second Unit

Just before the end of the year I brought home a pair of the new Paradigm Focus bookshelf speakers. These recently entered the Performance line between the Titan and the new Esprit floorstanding model.
    Up to this point in the break-in process, the new speakers are doing great: excellent bass definition for their size, precise soundstage, sharp instrumental detail.
    A big plus with the Focus speakers, in this image-oriented society in which we live, is that the grills remove (unlike on the other Performance bookshelf models), the better to see the super cool "metallescent" silver woofer cones.
    Frankly, this pair replaced a couple of old Advent bookshelf speakers (filling in since a very veteran pair of Boston Acoustic A60's bit it) which were fairly mediocre, so most decent speakers would have sounded better, but on first impression, playing some classical from WQXR, it was almost like listening to a whole new genre of music with the ‘Digms.
    I have a little buyer's remorse (don't we all?) because the Esprit's list for only $100 more and that's about what a decent pair of factory-made speaker stands would run. Well, I guess I'll just make my own stands and put the cash toward the center-channel speaker, the next planned acquisition in my slow-but-steady collection of a complete 5.1 speaker system.

2. ernie.bin

ernie.bin Stunt Coordinator

have you checked with your dealer about swapping up? I believe some dealers will take them back this soon at full value if you're upgrading.

3. James Bergeron

James Bergeron Supporting Actor

The Focus series has a silver cone? Cool. I have Atoms but just always imagined the speaker to be a basic black cone under the grill.

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    The focus uses the same drivers as the CC270 - 1" tweeter and the same midbass drivers, not the 3/4" tweeter of the Titan/CC170. The v3 170 also has the silver mid-bass driver, so I would guess that both the Titan and Atom do as well (since the grills are not removable).