1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Life With Judy Garland: Me And My Shadows (2001) - any chances of a proper Blu-Ray or DVD release?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Kanny Daye, Jan 5, 2020.

1. Message #1 of 10 Jan 5, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
    Kanny Daye

Kanny Daye Auditioning

Joseph Marten
    I wonder if with the arrival of the new Renée Zellweger Judy Garland biopic in theatres there are any chances for a proper re-release on Blu-Ray or DVD of the stunning 2001 Garland biopic "Life With Judy Garland: Me And My Shadows" with Judy Davis and Tammy Blanchard from the Miramax catalog in sight: https://www.miramax.com/movie/life-with-judy-garland-me-and-my-shadows/

The DVD releases available so far leave much to be desired:

The 2001 release by Alliance Atlantis Communications was on DVD9 and carried an audio commentary and extras but the main feature was cut down from 188 to 170 minutes and the image presented in cropped 4:3 only.
    https://www.amazon.com/-/de/dp/B00005U8QP/ref=sr_1_1?__mk_de_DE=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&keywords=life+with+judy+garland+me+and+my+shadows&qid=1578225384&s=movies-tv&sr=1-1

The 2012 re-release by Echo Bridge Entertainment was bare-bones but featured the uncut 188 minutes version in the proper 16:9 aspect ratio. But unfortunately this edition not only squeezed the more than three-hour movie on a DVD5 but also left the image non-anamorphic resulting in a rather fuzzy image quality.
    https://www.amazon.com/-/de/dp/B007AFBXF4/ref=sr_1_4?__mk_de_DE=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&keywords=life+with+judy+garland&qid=1578225438&s=movies-tv&sr=1-4

In 2000 the uncut version was released in the Netherlands by Bridge Pictures on PAL DVD (with a running time of 180 instead of 188 minutes due to PAL speed-up) under the title "The Story of Judy Garland - The Movie" but carried the 4:3 version only as well
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Judy-Garland-Movie-story-garland/dp/B002V9IKAU/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=the+story+of+judy+garland&qid=1578225469&s=dvd&sr=1-2

In the fairway of the actual "Judy" movie it would be the perfect timing for a Blu-Ray release of this one but I found no indication for something being on its way unfortunately.

Does anybod know if a proper anamorphic HD or SD transfer exists and may have surfaced on TV since the 2012 DVD release?

I think what they achieved in this movie was rather stunning:

Bob_S. and Flashgear like this.
  2. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    Yes, it's a brilliant made-for-TV movie: much more adventurous and complex than the usual made-for-TV film, and while it won a number of Emmys (including both of the leading ladies), it didn't win the big one which it so richly deserved.

I would LOVE to have a Blu-ray of this triumphant enterprise, but I've read nothing about such a release. Alas!

Bob_S. and MatthewA like this.
  3. TJPC

TJPC Producer

Terry Carroll
    Thanks a bunch! I was perfectly satisfied with the DVD version I bought some years ago on a Black Friday. Now I know it’s crap, and I have another thing to look for! :huh:

4. Message #4 of 10 Jan 5, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
    MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    What possessed them to cut the film for the original DVD, then build the commentary around that needlessly cut version? Oh wait, I know the answer: it starts with M, ends in X, and rhymes with "hacks." I didn't even know there was an uncut OAR reissue, even if it is letterboxed as if these were still the laserdisc days!

5. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Max?

Color me ignorant, but I'm just not understanding your reference, Matthew. [​IMG]

6. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew

Before he got a reputation as a sex pest, Harvey Weinstein was better known for violating the artistic integrity and narrative coherence of many films the company released, hence the nickname "Harvey Scissorhands."

7. David Weicker

David Weicker Producer

David
    I’m pretty sure the original run time was 170 minutes. Several sites list this. And TV shows from that year tended to have runtimes between 41-43 minutes per hour, which supports this.

The 188 might be an extended edit, but not the original film.

As for aspect ratio, I’m also fairly sure that 1.33 was the OAR. Only a handful of shows were even broadcast as widescreen in 2001. The fall of 2001 seemed to be the transition. This was just before spring.

8. Message #8 of 10 Jan 6, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
    Kanny Daye

Kanny Daye Auditioning

Joseph Marten
    Indeed its seems plausible that the show had 170 mins at its initial run and was only later released in extended form. Possibly the film was simply shortened short before the transmission to cram-in more commercials.

For the aspect ratio, me too would indeed have been sure the widscreen version would be only a matte job until I got definite proof that the show must have been filmed intended for 16:9 but was cropped to 4:3 in its initial run to go safe with the then-common standard.

Echo Bridge Entertainment (2012) Top
    Alliance Atlantis Communications (2001) Bottom

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

IMHO the 16:9 version with a 188 minutes runtime is the definitve version of the film although that was not the version shown on the initial run on TV.

9. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Got it. Thanks.

I guess I needed a bit more. Like, "Starts with 'm', ends in x', and rhymes with 'schmeeramax."

Dan McW likes this.
  10. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    What's a schmeeramax? Is that anything like a schmeer of cream cheese? :D