Life span of Plasma T.V.

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Jerome Grate, Dec 5, 2003.

1. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

I recall reading about the life span of a plasma t.v. is not very long in regards to burn in and color saturation. I can't recall exactly where I read it and I have two people in my family looking to buy them, one 42 inch and the other 50+inch. Of course they are asking me to assist them and I told them I'll get the information here, so can you please help me.

2. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

Got the answer I needed, thanks for looking.

3. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

you may also want to check out the plasma faq over at avsforum - they even have a link about burn-in.

4. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

Yes, there's a lot of misinformation floating around - the plasma FAQ at AVSforum is mandatory reading for anyone considering plasmas.

5. Daniel_Burke

Daniel_Burke Extra

Costco had a disclaimer on one of their plasma TV's. It stated that the lifespan of the plasma was 20,000 hours. When you think about it thats about 5 years. Personally I'd wait until they profect the whole concept. I don't want to worry about burned out cells or images being burned on to the screen. I'd chose one if I had the money and dont care about getting a new one in the next few years. But money is hard to come by and I'm not going to give it away like that.

6. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

At 8 hours a day, I get 6.849 years (I don't know how you got 5 - I got 5.5 @ 10hrs a day). I certainly don't watch 8 hours on my TV per day! At my 6 hours or so a day (more like 3-4 most days), I get 9.1 yrs. And that's only normally the # to get to half brightness.

Did you know that CRT manufacturers normally state 25,000 hours or so lifespan?

Better stay away from those 36" HD CRT based systems - they're only good for 5 years!

[​IMG]